Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cartoon Pet Character

ToffeeApple
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
*Latest Post

Been working on the overall body shapes some more:

I will be focusing on the hands and face next. I havn't decided whether to go for fat paws or slender pointy fingers.

Hi all

I'm a prop/environment artist so I really need some help with my character. I have a small Indie game side project I'm doing this for. 

The Concept Art for my game by Yaesmin Asik:

The Hi-poly version (I've created using Sub-div modeling)

I'd really appreciate any C&C on this. I'm thinking the proportions/shape may be a bit off. I'm just struggling to totally put my finger on it. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hi there, cool start. I think what you have now is more of a meat tube, that isn't meant to be an insult - just that the overall object has no real interesting gesture or rhythm - really pay attention to this as it will add a lot of appeal to your characters. I would suggest looking more closely at the concept and even some references of cartoon squirrels/rabbits, etc. Try to think how the character can be stylized in an interesting way to give it more, well, 'character'. Quick paintover with some suggestions:

• ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much Torch this is just what I need :smile: and yeah I'm sure it's a meat tube haha
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Please keep us posted!
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I've mostly been working on improving the shape of the bottom half. I've also changed the proportions a bit to try and match the reference more. I have been hesitant to add cheeks and a chin to the face as I wanted it to be quite Studio Ghibli / Pokemon without too much detail. I will be taking a look at the face later though to see what I can do to improve it.

I have test rigged the tail to be curled up - will need to rework it as it's a bit too low poly right now.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on the overall body shapes some more:

I will be focusing on the hands and face next. I havn't decided whether to go for fat paws or slender pointy fingers