Home Quixel Megascans

Texture painting in Quixel Suite vs Photoshop 3D Menu

Silverland
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Silverland polycounter lvl 5
Hi, guys. My question is why do i have to learn Quixel if i can do all of the texture painting on a 3D model by simply using Photoshop 3d Menu. And here is even entire course was created by Pluralsight (https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/texture-painting-maya-photoshop-1781) where the tutor textures 3d model entirely in the Photoshop 3D mode, and he still has access to all of the Photoshops brushes, selections and staffs like that. So what benefits gives you Quixel if compare to the Photoshop 3D menu? Tell me in the details, please. Thank you for the answers.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is this intentionally ignoring SUbstance Painter as an option, or  have you not heard of that program yet?

I'll say off the top of my head, I don't rememvber Photoshop being able to paint across multiple different texture maps with one brush stroke in the same way Quixel can. 
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Whenever Ive tried the photoshop 3D tools Ive been very dissappointed. Maybe its improved a bit over the years but quixel and substance painter and even 3D coat offer uniquely game industry specific solutions, like how to create pbr texture sets. Also photoshop lighting and move rotate and scale in viewport and applying shaders etc just seems really obtuse to me like it was designed for photo manipulators rather than 3D artists.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I am using Substance Painter at the mo. I did use Quixel for some character models and a scene tho. Quixel is excellent and intuitive.  I think you would at least want to try it and test the edge wear feature before dismissing it. It was the first time I got metal to look like,.... well metal. There are loads of other advantages it has.
    Nuff sed.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Heh, I forgot about that 3D mode in Photoshop. I wanted to learn that before I went straight to Mudbox and then Substance Painter/Mari for texturing.

I'm surprised Adobe hasn't really advertised/pushed that feature since all the tools are there to compete.
  • Silverland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silverland polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks guys! 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Photoshop's 3D painting is... Well, honestly, not all that great. PS itself is an amazing tool but the 3D aspect of it is definitely not so good in comparison. DDO and NDO (not Quixel, that's our company ;) ) both allow for 3D painting if you're using a version of PS that's CS6 or higher. Basically any version within 9 years of today should function correctly.

If you're texturing in PS, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to use a tool like DDO to automate most of the grunt work involved in the process. DDO is PS with additional features that make PBR painting a nearly seamless experience. Try it out and see for yourself, and perhaps take a read over my DDO tutorial - you might find it really useful to help illustrate what I mean: https://quixel.se/tutorial/vehicular-hard-surface-detailing-using-quixel-ddo/

Cheers!
  • Bumblebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumblebee polycounter lvl 3
    also comes with the drawback that texturing with quixel is hella frustrating unfortunately.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    In what way, exactly? I can always assist you with the workflow if you have issues with it. :)