Home Technical Talk

Weird artifacts on low poly(flat surface)

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I have this weird streak/shading/artifact on this part of my low poly. I think it has to do with the thin quads but hopefully someone can confirm this. This area is completely flat and the high poly matches it.

This is the mesh with normal map applied

This is the low poly geometry:

That whole section is its own smoothing group:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Baked in Marmoset.

Replies

• kiujikamiki
    Offline / Send Message
    kiujikamiki polycounter lvl 7
    Try re doing the topolgy again and remove all the triangles..on the top surface of your mesh already shows uneven toplogies with quads connecting to tris..
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Your 'low-poly' geo isn't low poly at all. Is there a reason you have all those support loops in? Are you using trim-texturing or FWVN? I'm guessing not if you're baking a high/low normal map.

And even at that you could optimise all those flat surfaces. That weird topolgy you have on that same area with the baking issue is causing the problem. Those 2 long, thin quads will be triangulated to even longer and thinner tris.

You should make more use of triangles to terminate and optimise edgeloops.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
    Your 'low-poly' geo isn't low poly at all. Is there a reason you have all those support loops in? Are you using trim-texturing or FWVN? I'm guessing not if you're baking a high/low normal map.

And even at that you could optimise all those flat surfaces. That weird topolgy you have on that same area with the baking issue is causing the problem. Those 2 long, thin quads will be triangulated to even longer and thinner tris.

You should make more use of triangles to terminate and optimise edgeloops.
    Thanks for that. I keep alot of the bevels in the low poly so that it follows the high poly more.  I find if I delete some of those loops the shape changes too much which might effect the bake negatively?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Well there's not much point baking a normal map then. Chamfering your game mesh then becomes mid-poly modeling which is a different workflow and doesn't require a NM bake.