Home General Discussion

Blender 2.8 Real Time development test, Tree Creature

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Blender 2.8 Real Time development test, Tree Creature 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxrwx7nmS5A

Also side note, I wonder how Pixar's Fast Lighting Preview with NVIDIA Technology is coming on?

https://youtu.be/LACmRpMYOak?t=47

Replies

• petemc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    petemc polycounter lvl 11
    Impressive stuff. I'd be interested in seeing how easy it is to setup and use, as a non-Blender user. If it can beat Toolbag in terms of speed and ease of use I'd consider switching for real-time renders.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i've barely played around with 2.8 but (as a blender user) i'm pretty confident to say: no chance! :)

it will be more flexible though, no doubt about that. after all there's a full 3d package behind it. and perhaps this or that feature might look better or can be tuned to do so. given some experience with 3d apps in general in toolbag you can just jump in, no manual required. here - unless somebody manages to pre-package common materials and lighting settings - it's going to be quite the learning experience.

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i bet there will be some packages for this which you only need to load into your scene, at least to some degree
    but i still love marmoset for the ease of use and the new baker, which is awesome
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Soooo..when is that release date for 2.8 popping out?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    I have played around with it. Very impressive:

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Awesome lookdev (...also nice that the author sought too include his daughter as the creature's voice over), anyway an undeniable degree of work gone into 'Eevee' aligning the engine alongside current PBR proprietary solutions so far, though you'd may want to think about upgrading your system if like me at this point isn't openGL 3.3 compatible. 
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @sacboi an upgraded system is not all that's needed, unfortunately.
    I have an nvidia GTX 960m on Windows (supports GL up to 4.5) and it still can't run Eevee well because there's Windows driver peculiarities that need to be addressed on the client side (within Blender), like the SSS shader, for example. It doesn't work.
    Props to Toolbag for using Direct3D on Windows, allowing me to get superior results even with a simpler GPU (an onboard Intel HD Graphics 4600).

I think most Blender developers use Linux based systems,so what works for them might not work for others -- at least not until the dev. cycle comes to the stage of ironing out driver bugs.

In any case, if you have two GPUs in your system make sure to run Blender 2.8 with the best one so that Eevee can take advantage of it.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Hey thanks, atm I'm working with a 2012 self assembled entry level gaming rig...oh well I guess even more to think about.

EDIT:

Blond wrote:

Soooo..when is that release date for 2.8 popping out?

July 2018 or there abouts:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2018/01/see-the-10-hottest-new-features-coming-to-blender-in-2018/

Release dates and availability
    Blender 2.80 is currently scheduled for a beta release in Q2 2018, although the date has slipped several times since the update was originally announced.

In his blog post, Roosendaal suggests that the beta is likely to come later rather than earlier – “lucky that [the] quarter lasts until July 1st” – with August’s Siggraph conference as a back-up target.

Non-Blender-2.80 features have their own individual schedules: you can find more details via the link below.

Read Ton Roosendaal’s pick of Blender features to watch in 2018 on Blender.org

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    petemc said:
    If it can beat Toolbag in terms of speed and ease of use I'd consider switching for real-time renders.
    I'm curious how this would even be possible, to be honest. Toolbag is super easy to use, and fast, and pretty full-featured.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    RN said:
    @sacboi an upgraded system is not all that's needed, unfortunately.
    I have an nvidia GTX 960m on Windows (supports GL up to 4.5) and it still can't run Eevee well because there's Windows driver peculiarities that need to be addressed on the client side (within Blender), like the SSS shader, for example. It doesn't work.
    Props to Toolbag for using Direct3D on Windows, allowing me to get superior results even with a simpler GPU (an onboard Intel HD Graphics 4600).

I think most Blender developers use Linux based systems,so what works for them might not work for others -- at least not until the dev. cycle comes to the stage of ironing out driver bugs.

In any case, if you have two GPUs in your system make sure to run Blender 2.8 with the best one so that Eevee can take advantage of it.

Bought a GTX 1080 ti, how would it handle real time? The same ?
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @Blond I'm not sure. Best way to tell is running the latest 2.8 build (which is still experimental) directly with your 1080 GPU by using that "Run With NVIDIA" context menu.

But in terms of performance you should be fine.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    petemc said:
    If it can beat Toolbag in terms of speed and ease of use I'd consider switching for real-time renders.
    Beat Toolbag in terms of ease of use? A 6-sided dice couldn't even beat Toolbag in terms of ease of use.......
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I recently found out about another real time renderer called InstantLight RT. It's built on top of Unity.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    I just discovered that the Tree Creature scene file is available for download: https://download.blender.org/demo/eevee/tree_creature/tree_creature.blend

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    blender just seems straight up better than max and maya at this point. Autodesk needs to get its shit together.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    been mucking about with this for the past few, days, great fun and looks fantastic. still really buggy, but they update version 2.8 every day

you can also download a bunch mre demos

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Bletzkarn said:
    blender just seems straight up better than max and maya at this point. Autodesk needs to get its shit together.
    It's good, but it still lacks a lot of tools and conveniences which force you to take extremely slow and circuitous approaches to various tasks.
    Take Radial Array for example. In most tools you would just hit the Radial Array button, then define an offset and number of instances.
    In Blender, if I remember correctly, you have to assign the Radial Array modifier, create an empty object, link the empty object inside the modifier, then use the empty object's position to define the offset.
    As another example, last I knew symmetry did not exist; you have to cut the model in half exactly on the axis line, then assign a Mirror modifier to it. Temporary symmetry used for a particular task is just not an option, let alone topological symmetry.
    It also develops at a snail's pace; they've been working on 2.8 for like 3 years now.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Bletzkarn said:
    I would say equal in many aspect (modeling, rendering especially).

It is still lacking in terms of rigging tools and animation workflow (Maya is still the king for that).

Also, Maya has Muscle system, NCloth, Xgen and bunch of other plug-ins and add-ons often used in VFX.

Blender is definitely a must have tool for any game indie developper now. No arguing on that.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Zack Maxwell - you can just go in to edit mode and mesh, 'symmetrize' works fine.

but anyway considering its fliipping free, its a must have really

Lets face it maya has stuff missing like a a shell modifier straight out of the box, so there will always be work arounds

I model a lot in zbrush with zmodeller too, so max and maya are quickly losing ground i feel

Maybe if you are a techy type artist who models guns etc ,then max still the king re modelling, but I am going to keep learning
    blender as i feel its got a lot of potential and yeah its FREE ha ha
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Nice to know big studios are now using Blender. I think in the next five years Autodesk is going to face the competition. A lot of ppl are switching.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/roExO
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    i used maya 4 times and i crashed 3 times? i used blender 1000 times and it never crashed once?! it may or may be not that maya has some more advanced stuff i dont know, but blender "forces" you to use hotkeys which makes you soo much faster. It not just that.  also you can rearange windows in such good way without get lost and and and. But as i sayed i am not so expirienced in maya but alone the multiple crashes makes it more unatractive for me.