Home Technical Talk

What is the best way to rig a flying suit

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
Hello, i'm trying to rig a model in maya I made that has a sort of flying suit and i would like to rig it for Unreal Engine. I tried to apply clothing in unreal to see how it folds but it's glitchy, What is the best way to do this? I'm still learning to rig properly (thank you maya rig) so having someone to point me in the right direction would be awesome.

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've been rigging for a long time. If someone handed me a model with that design I would send it back and say "No, redesign it." It won't be hard to get a good look putting the arms down and picking them up, but anything else will be a pain.

But if you must:

1. Find some games that have similar things and research the hell out of that. Batman's cape in Arkham Asylum had a small team dedicated to getting it to work. Maybe the character in Journey?

2. I would probably have a few joint chains and a couple of nurbs to form a splineIK / joint grid. The mesh would be skinned to the joint chains, but their positions would be controlled by the splineIK.

Not sure if I'd stick with that, but that'd be the first thing I tried.

• Bar0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you very much for your tips! So basically the most convenient way is to rig it like a dragon/bat wing, right?

Yeah it's a pain in the ass, but since the guy is suppose to be flying with a jetpack I just got inspired by the flying suits like this one
    I'm just glad I didn't add the legs part too.