Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Old Abandoned LIMB Clinic (Deus Ex)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
FULGORE greentooth
Based on the old Prague LIMB Clinic from Mankind Divided - which I thought should have been bigger, grander, y'know? - but with some design elements from the Human Revolution ones, taken some time into a future where this one has been left alone for a good long while.

After just practicing lighting for a while I thought I'd tackle a whole envio again (I got the itch again) and use some of the techniques I came to like.

E.g. using a low-intensity point for volumetric fog, and using an emissive plane to simulate an area light inside UE4

Also, it's using a few Master Materials for dust coating, and I gave myself the option to toggle between regular or smashed glass for the backlit panels

Lights breakdown:

Replies

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Moved some lights around, added the dust sheet (Transmission material), and I expanded the dust to include some individual decals

• Lukeman87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukeman87 node
    It looks good. Definitely reminds me of a Deus Ex Limb clinic with the styling (light fixtures, wall textures, etc.) and the it definitely feels abandoned. I would add a couple assets to drive the concept a bit more; a few broken or smashed video screens, maybe a rugged couch or some busted chairs. Just a couple things I noticed from online images. 
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Great atmosphere/feeling to this environment!

One thing that jumps out quickly to me is the floor... tile?  If its tile, then the scale should likely be much smaller, maybe a 1'x2' rectangular tile would be good. If its concrete the pattern is alright, but the material looks a little too smooth, and the joints in concrete are typically darker than the surrounding material. If its metal, I think the joints would be tighter, and probably more scratches, metal-like wear etc....  That got rambly, but anyways, I'm not quite sure what the floor material is, which isn't great, so I'd work to define it a little more.  

Also, the area inside of the trim on the lower wall panels could benefit from a material change. The way it is now looks like a single material applied over the whole lower panel and the trim just stuck on.

I'm kind of nitpicking, but I always appreciate the little bits of feedback like this, so yeah... just my 2 cents.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Lukeman87 said:
    It looks good. Definitely reminds me of a Deus Ex Limb clinic with the styling (light fixtures, wall textures, etc.) and the it definitely feels abandoned. I would add a couple assets to drive the concept a bit more; a few broken or smashed video screens, maybe a rugged couch or some busted chairs. Just a couple things I noticed from online images. 
    Currently working on the geo for a sofa :) - then I'll just need to make a version of my Dusty Master Material that uses the Cloth shading model. Right now I'm thinking the base being painted metal and having some geometry normal-affecting decals to get this kind of look:

Here's a rough paintover to plan asset placement, probably with too much going on, but it's easy enough to overprepare then downscale or move things about once they're made:

- Furniture
    - More ceiling shards are needed
    - some roughness-affecting drip/leak decals
    - Wall-mounted screens
    - Old dusty leaflets/pamphlets from LIMB
    - Clear dust sheet over the first table (forward-shaded)
    - Opaque dust sheets half-covering some furniture
    - the old clinic in Mankind Divided has a metal step ladder just left there, I like that so I might steal that idea

Also I think the trim lighting panels above the walls could use some tweaking. I might keep its current single tube point light as a fill, then place some smaller ones per lit panel (plus working more on the emissive textures)

RE Floor and ceiling materials - tbh I was struggling with these. They both had various iterations. Maybe the solution will be going back to the reference I collected.

Maybe a floor like these tiles:

(but with dust, obv)

and I might update the ceiling concrete to be like this:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Trying out a vinyl tile floor:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Started to add old LIMB info leaflets using a basic version of my Dusty Master Material:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Started putting in furniture and Forward-rendered dust sheets:

EDIT: outdated image removed
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Reworked the sofas (I was able to put more time into them), added more ceiling shards, added a rim light on the furthest sofa, and tweaked the emissive panels a bit - top left has the "Smashed Glass" material parameter switched on :)

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Touched up the main Tarp/Dust sheet, and put some more reflection captures in for some accuracy/mood adjustments - the ceiling is no longer weirdly bright and full of warm-tone reflections

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Adding torn edges to the ripped wallpaper:

I plan to fire up Substance Designer and see if I can make a tiling Decal for adhesive backing left on the underneath parts of the wall modules, where the wallpaper is missing. Something like this:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Adding the trademark new-Deus-Ex candelabras:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    After seeing the super nice broken emissive glass partitions in the first chapter of Detroit Become Human, I figured I'd try to incorporate a similar thing:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Updated the emissive glass with a red & green value nudging setup, the Master Material takes a B&W emissive texture, all the rest is node magic: