Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Snokko: Overwatch fanart

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
jasonandrewart polycounter lvl 7
1 PRODUCTION PREP

Hey folks,

This is my first proper post on Polycount, and I hope that I post on here as frequent as I do on Instagram (lol). I came across This concept by Yizard and instantly gravitated towards the design and the potential it has. I sent him a quick message to get the greenlight on modelling this:

Snokko by Yizard

For those who may know the game well, looking at the style of her clothes, shape language and her colour scheme, she looks very much like a Junker-turned-Talon character. There's a lot of triangular motifs that give the sense of her being a very dangerous and almost wild hero. The worn parts of her clothing, hand-painted grenades and bandages feel very make-do-and-mend-ish, a lot like the elements found on Junkrat and Roadhog.

Once I spent some time de-constructing how this character fits in game on paper, I had to do a few small visual tweaks to draw it in closer to the I.P

Refining and adding to Yizard's original design

After spending some time playing the game and taking some notes from looking at existing concept art from the other characters I altered the silhouette slightly for easier readability. I changed the leg strap over to the other leg to have better balance and weighting when it all goes to 3D. The more slender-built women in the game have very thin legs and ankles, I accommodated for that while still keeping her boots very prominent. I reduced the amount of detail around the neck for better flow and more areas of rest.
In terms of her body shape the most apparent feature is her wide hips, a sorta mid-ground between Tracer and Mercy. I drew a few variations of the jeans and colour scheme as well just for skin ideation purposes.

Snokko's colour variants test

Character Breakdown

Lastly I added a few metal accents to the back of the jacket to add a bit more technological aesthetic to the design. 

2 STARTING WITH THE HEAD

Head sculpt and goggles test 

After carefully observing a load of high poly sculpts of a few of the characters I've noticed that the surface detail is similar to that of a brand new car, sleek and smooth, and everything that is on it is readable. In order to get the cleanest possible sculpt without any lumps or artefacts, I created and used a basemesh for the head. At a super low level it wasn't a matter of sculpting, but more so pulling and pushing verts in place to construct the face. Once I did that I had to test and decide how I'm going to create creases and kinks in the hair. The hair (fringe/bangs) was also modelled in and then sculpted. I tried where and when I can to prep for later stages. At this point I can already do test bakes of the face and make decisions on streamlining the pipeline as I don't have Blizzard's in-house tricks of the trade. 

The goggles sate differently in concept, but I had to make sure that they can fit around the eyes. I modelled them covering the eyes first and then made a copy where I can move them into place to sit on the top of the head. For me, function is just as important as aesthetic in this project so where I can I will try to be as meticulous as possible. I ended up removing the bits of hair on the side of the face because Brigitte was released at the time. It was best to not have too many similarities and have Snokko looking too much of a hybrid character.

3 THEN THE BODY

Body blockout

This was probably the most difficult part of the entire project so far. I spent majority of the last six months watching Shane Olson streams on the Pixologic youtube page and found it to be the most effective way to get the forms right. I can simply tweak polygrouped areas before I fully commit to Dynamesh. This part was difficult because I had to be as accurate as possible at this stage. I decided to do the full nude body with all fingers and toes so that if I am going to do a different skin in future where other parts of the body might be exposed, I can revert back to this base as a starting point.

4 CLOTHES

Before I jump in and properly retopo and sculpt up the body, I quickly block in and fill colour/polypaint the clothes. Again this is just a fail safe and a way of grouping parts of the model.

SNOKKO'S JACKET

This is all I will post for now. Feel free to ask any questions and any C&Cs are welcomed. :)

You can check out other artwork that I have done on my artstation.

ARTSTATION: https://www.artstation.com/jasonandrewwilliams

Thanks

Replies