Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

『FINISHED』 UnrealEngine 4 environment art / materials - Ravine

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
BramZ polycounter lvl 4
The start of an environment ^^
To see more of this environment, materials for example. You can find those on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/anartaccount :smile:
Any feedback or constructive criticism is always welcome of course!
I got a lot of inspiration from my favorite artists for this environment.

One of the final shots of the environment. The progress behind it and more shots can be found down below!

Here is a quick blockout I made in UE4 for the environment:

The first image is an improved version of the rock where I added more detail. The one under it is the sculpt where I sculpted the main shapes.

Replies

• cjwidd
    Offline / Send Message
    cjwidd polycounter lvl 2
    Obviously great work, thank you so much for sharing +1

So the ground material is using displacement for smaller rocks, and the cliff walls have some smaller (mesh) rocks scattered at the base to help blend the ground and rock walls togethern, visually?

Is the ground a landscape actor, or is that a mesh?
  • BramZ
    Offline / Send Message
    BramZ polycounter lvl 4
    Cheers @cjwidd ^^

No, I didn't use any displacement. It's just flat ground materials on a landscape mesh. I put down some small pebbles and rocks I sculpted in Zbrush though. The cliff rocks indeed have smaller boulders and rocks scattered around the base yeah, that's right :D 
    The ground is just a landscape actor where I sculpted a bit of height variation.
  • cjwidd
    Offline / Send Message
    cjwidd polycounter lvl 2
    BramZ said:
    A material that will be placed near the rocks to have a 'blend' between the ground materials and the rock formation. 
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand. This^ material appears to use displacement. Is it not represented in the scene?
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work, mate!  This really came together :)
  • BramZ
    Offline / Send Message
    BramZ polycounter lvl 4
    @cjwidd Ooooh. No, I only used a heightmap (Displacement) for presentation purposes for the material. In the engine, It doesn't use any displacement. Only Normal, Roughness, Albedo and AO. Sorry for the confusion :#.  And thanks @aclund3 for the comment and following the progress. I really appreciate it :D