Home Freelance Job Postings

Hard Surface Generalist for Modular Space Ship

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
GroZZleR polycounter lvl 4
Intro

I'm looking to hire a hard surface generalist capable of creating the concept, models and textures for a modular space ship.  Ideally I find someone passionate about sci-fi, and space ships in general, who would be interested in forming a working relationship for continuous work.

Concept

The idea is to create a set of interconnecting modules that can be mix-and-matched to create different ship hull designs, like this example from CGPitbull:

I need at least six modules to start:
 - primary engines module: huge engine(s) always at the rear of the ship
 - secondary engines module: engine ports facing every direction for translation and rotation, including reverse engines
 - hardpoint module 1: weapon systems (turrets, launch tubes, counter-measures, etc) will be interchangeably mounted at special points along the surface
 - hardpoint module 2: same as above but different structure for variety
 - ring module: habitat / crew
 - blocky module: lab / storage / whatever -- mainly interested in having some aesthetic variety

The overall style of the ship must be chunky realistic instead of agile jet-fighter or space-boat.  The colours should be primarily composed of blacks / whites / greys as a base with a secondary accent material that I can tint for each player (like how RTS units colourize their teams).  We also need a faction specific emblem and the ship's name -- I think on the primary engine module makes the most sense -- I can dynamically render those elements to a texture at startup.  We'll figure those minor details out together.

I've uploaded a collection of designs that I like, and with a little imagination, you can see how they could be broken down into individual modules.  How the modules connect is up to you but an interesting silhouette is definitely required, it can't be just one long tube.  I should be able to rotate most modules, especially the ring or blocky modules, to give the ship some life.  A seventh module (or using the blocky module) that acts as a node to branch modules off in other directions could be pretty cool, but that depends on the overall ship design you come up with and is not strictly required.

You'll also be responsible for creating secondary assets: turrets, launch tubes, missiles, any sort of bay doors / hatches.

Technical

Photorealism / PBR.  We have some room to play with the triangle count as this is a PC game.  The ship is front and centre on the screen and needs to be detailed.  Other ships are seen at a distance, if at all, and the environment is primarily open space.  Somewhere around ~6k-10k per module so a full ship is around ~60-80k sounds about right.

Contact

Please contact me with your portfolio, how much you'd charge for the assets described above and a bit about yourself: playremnant+jobs@gmail.com

Experience with Unity is a big plus.

Thanks!