Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Texturing Weapons [Student Work]

Litcdw
null
Offline / Send Message
Litcdw null
Im currently a student working on stylized texturing for a class. I am having quite a bit of trouble with it. So if anyone can please point me in a good direction of how to quickly learn this texturing process? Or how what one tackle a project similar to this? Plus, I would also like UV layout advise as well please!

Below are images of my current projects:

https://litcdw.artstation.com/

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Listen to my friend, Dylan's, substance painter crash course video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhBVsn2tfGc

You also seem to be rendering it in a 3D viewport of a 3D package instead of a game eengine or real-time rendering engine that can do beauty shots.  Download Unreal, unity, or Toolbag and get your beauty shots done there.

• LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LokiDokie polycounter lvl 7
    hi, 
    So i think your uvs are alright there's a lot of empty space that maybe you could expand your sets and fill it up, I'm not super great a uv advice.

I think your wood texture on the sheild is getting there i think you need to add some highlights and edge lighting to help add some contrast and make the weapon pop. On metal parts dont be afraid to add the white reflections and use the colour dodge layer to help it beam and shine, it'll help your metal stand out as a different materail, which i think is a big problem your having is that all your materials look the same. 
    I don't know what your references are like but when I do gold i usually make it very yellowy/orange colour (much more saturated), for metals i usually add a blue hue as you generally don't want it to be grey. 
    I think your also missing a lot lighting information on here, theres no real light on anything and not much if any shadow/AO, make sure before you start painting you essabilish your light source :)
    You clouds sword at the top is farrrrrr to dark, I know the sword is a dark grey but you've painted it almost black. I wouldn't  hand paint anything black unless it was in very dark shadow. I think again your gold is looking a big murky and not very saturated.

I'll link you too a very helpful tutorial he'll take you though how to hand paint a whole environment I found and still find it very useful :)
    https://www.udemy.com/3dmotive-model-and-texture-a-stylized-dungeon-for-games/

I hope this helps abit :) 
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    You need to decide now whether you're doing PBR hand painted or diffuse only hand painted. 

Right now, it looks like a mix of both but I look at your metal blade in the second image and it has pre-painted highlights. You can't have any shadow or specular information in the diffuse when you go and light it.
  • Litcdw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Litcdw null
    Just wanted to say THANK YOU all for the comments. The comments made by LokiDokie especially help with the actual project creation for this current class project. Of course, the other comments helped in other aspects as well. Thanks Again! And here's my current progress so far at least towards competing this assignment for now! But, I know there's still more work and practical to be done with here.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range

And as a word of warning about class projects, you need to spend more time outside of the actually assignment time to gett it portfolio ready.  It's been rare to see homework as portfolio worthy assignments on Polycount and other portfolio's we've seen.  The one's that are good are the ones that had more time put into them past the grade.