Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Car Mini One First Modeling and Texturing for Videogames

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
serdialCGI polycounter lvl 4

Hi 3DModelers,

This is my second post about my personal projects in 3D. In that occasion, I am going to show you the process of Mini One First car’s modeling in Maya, and then I will texture it in Substance Painter. My challenge is to model for 15 days as a maximum date. So I am going to begin with it.

1_References of car and its details

In all my CGI projects, I like to research a lot of images to reference me. This is a little list of some images I found out in google.

2_Block-In of Mini One First car

Normally, I usually model a little block-in version model to define the proportions and measure of asset. This is a very simplify version of car, and it helps me to see the possibly final model.

3_Modeling of Mini One First car

Always I like to begin all my CGI cars with the loop of the bodywork’s wheel because it has an important curvature.

For that reason, I began with this part with a cylinder of 32 sides to avoid the polygonal appearance of wheel’s part. Then of that, I copied this loop from front wheel to back wheel, and I adapted each vertex in all views to define the curvature.

Then I continued with the driver’s door and its details. I began extruding the four lower edges of front wheel’s loop to define the main of door.  I adapted these vertexes to front view by following the border of door. The top part of door was modeled by extruding the top edges.

When I finished the main modeling of door, I focused on the details such as the zone of left indicator, and the circle of the toggle. Before of that, I had to add more edge loops in the door to raise the topology. On the one hand, the circle part was modeled by Booleans with a sphere of 16 sides, and by connecting it with bodywork by means of little triads. On the other hand, the indicator’s zone was modeled by creating a loop around the profile, and I used triads too.

Then, I modeled the toggle of driver’s door by means of a box, and I added it more edge loops to define its curvature as you could see in the image. In addition, I created a narrow plastic protection.

Then of that, I focused on the headlight, so I began with a circle main loop with 26 sides. The inner part was extruded from inner edge loop, and I adapted these vertexes according to the blueprints. Then, I created the chrome frame and its glass. In addition, I decided to model the interior to create a car more realistic.

Now, I will continue by connecting the headlight’s loop with the front wheel’s loop.

Replies

• serdialCGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi 3DModelers,

Yesterday, I continued by catching on  with my car. I continued by connecting the door with the front wheel’s loop by following the characteristic curvature. Then, I connected the headlight’s loop with these new polygons by using Extruding and Bridge tools. 

The first difficulty was that there was a vertex very tensed in the headlight’s loop, and the sheet of the top of the wheel needed more resolution. So, I had to introduce a new edge loop to define the lengthwise section.

Then I continued by creating several loops of car’s parts. At first, I modeled the big front grille’s loop by following the curvature according to the blueprints in all views. Then, I prepared the loop of window’s border. This car had a characteristic part in the bonnet, and it was a little relief in the middle.  Then, I connected both loops by means of another loop.

Then of that, I filled the gap in order to generate the whole bonnet. For that reason, I used Bridge tool to connect all parts by generating a clean topology as well as possible. Finally, I used Relax tool in order to distribute all vertexes equally, and it create a correct flow in the model. Some curves were modeled by using triads in order to save topology.

Then I continued by modeling the lower little grille’s loop and its inner beveled part.

Then of that, I modeled the lower headlight’s loop by following the curvature according to the blueprints. When I had defined this border, I filled the gap with a clean topology as well as possible.  I used also the Relax tool to smooth this part.

Finally, I connected both elements by means of Bridge tool. I had to put a triad in the lower part to reduce the topology.

Now I show you a short gif about my progress for the last day in the front part of the car.

• serdialCGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi 3DModelers,

Today, I come back to show you a new progress in my car. So the last part was the little lower front headlight. I began by creating the main loop of this round headlight by means of a cylinder of 18 sides, and I rotated and cut it in order to define its position and rotation. Then I used a Bend deformer to curve this loop and I filled the gap with quads and triads.

Then of that, I continued with its spotlight and its pieces. For that reason, I used a cylinder of the same resolution that the hole (18 sides). This part was very simple.

Then I modeled the lower grille by creating the base module, and then it was repeated. Finally I used a Bend deformer to adapt it at round shape.

Then I modeled the chrome’s frame of the big top grille. So I extruded the border edge of the grille’s hole to have a base of the frame. I made it a thickness to bevel its edges. Finally, I applied it a Smooth edge.

Then I modeled the front bumper. I began with a simple plane to shape from front view. You can see the process of modeling in the next image, where I began from a simple to complex shape.

Then I continued by modeling the background of this grille, and its chrome pieces. This background was extracted from a plane it was bridged from the edges. The other pieces were generated by means of some boxes with some divisions. I used also a Bend deformer to curve it.

Then I modeled the number plate by means of a plane with some divisions. Then I used a Bend deformer to adapt it to the curved bumper.

Then of that, I created the tiny piece at the top of the bonnet. I began from a box, and I made it several divisions. Then I applied a Smooth tool to subdivided the mesh.

Then, I continued by creating the logo of Mini from a reference in front view. At first, I created the base of the logo from a cylinder of 32 sides, and I extruded the side edges of circle to model the wings. Then of that, I projected this base over the bonnet. The relief was made by extruding of polygons and beveling their border edges.  This mesh was close to 3000 triads, and this amount was very high to videogames. So, this logo was a high poly model to used it in baking stage then.

Then I modeled the little frame of the windows, so I extruded it from top border edges of the bodywork. Then I beveled its edges.

Then, I modeled the front support from a plane. Then of that I added several divisions to curve this piece. Finally, I done it a little extrusion in order to bevel the edges.

One of the last pieces I modeled yesterday was the round roof of the car. I began from a plane and I added it several divisions to curve it.

Finally I modeled the front window from a plane with several divisions.

Finally, I show you a gif about this process, and I add a short video of a turntable of modeling.

• serdialCGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi 3DModelers,

I am back to show you more things about my car. So I continued by creating the dashboard. I began by extruding the border edge of the bonnet, and then I made this shape by extruding the edges. Finally, the dashboard had three sloped gaps, and I modeled them by using Booleans from three cylinders and cleaning the resulted geometry.

Then I continued by modeling the front wipers. They were divided in several pieces which were connected between them. They were five pieces, and all them were modeled from a plane. Although these pieces were hard surfaced models, I created low poly pieces, and I optimized where it was necessary. The whole wiper was straight, but I had to adapt it to windscreen. So I used a Bend and Lattice deformers in order to adapt it to a round shape.  

Then, I modeled the side indicator. At first, I created a flatted shape from side view and I adapted to curved bodywork by means of ShrinkWrap deformer. I extruded this mesh and beveled its edge. Also I modeled another extra piece in high poly version to bake it at the end.

Then, I created the rearview mirror. So I began by creating a cylinder of 20 sides to define the support. I extruded the border edge in order to model the piece of contact between bodywork and rearview mirror. The main part was modeled from a sphere, and I modified its shape by means of Lattice deformer. The mirror was obtained by extruding the edges of main part.

Then of that, I began to model the lower black plastic piece of bodywork. For that reason, I extruded the lower border edge of bodywork, and I began to give a shape. I created some triads where it was necessary. This plastic part defined the front bumper.

Then I began to model the rim of wheel. In that stage, I created two kinds of rim; one of them had 14 axes, and the other had only five axes, and it was simpler.

This is the first one I modeled for the wheel rim. It was very complex, and its mesh was very high. One only rim model was 4000 triads approximately, and it was much. For that reason, I began to model another different rim. This other rim had five axes and a little sphere in the rim’s center. Finally, I modeled a high poly model from low poly model in order to create more details such a huge and tiny holes for some bolts. This mesh will be used to bake the details from high to low poly model in a normal and ambient occlusion map by means of Substance Painter. 

This is all for today. Tomorrow I will show you more things about this modeling car.

• LoganTMT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganTMT triangle
    Dang son, Nice Mini Cooper there!
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, nice work serdialCGI!! Still, I don´t recomend you starting with such amount of polygons. Even thought it is looking great so far, starting like that makes it difficult making shape changes. Try to work on the block out and start adding detail once the surrounding shapes are right.
  • serdialCGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi 3DModelers,

Today I come back with other kind of modeling in my car.

The next mesh I modeled was the tire. First of all, I analyzed the tire I wanted to model, and I found out the amount of modules. There were 90 modules in this type of tire, so I had to model one of them. When I am modeling a tire, I like beginning from a cylinder with the same sides as modules.

So I began with a cylinder of 90 sides, and I deleted all with the exception of one of them. This quad was a reference of the width of module. Then I shaped to module by extruding edges and moving them. Next I made a thickness by extruding some faces. At final, I optimized the geometry by creating some triads, and I beveled the hard edges.

After I had created the main module, I duplicated it 89 times to get the unfolded tire in straight position. Then I applied a Bend deformer to curve it. That was the high poly model, but I had to retopologied the model to create a low poly version with less geometry. The high poly model would be used to bake in Substance.

Then I continued by finishing the back part of bodywork. First of all, I created the main loops in each part, such as the boot, wheel or border’s windows. Then I filled the gaps and rebuilded the geometry to get quads.

Then I created another loops like tail light’s loop and I filled the gap of hole of boot by avoiding triads. Next I connected bodywork with tail light’s loop and I filled this part. I put some triads in order to not rise the topology and not create n-gons.

Then I created the lower boot’s loop with some subdivisions and I filled this gap. Also I prepared the bottom loop of boot, and I bridged the two loops with three subdivisions between them. Finally I filled the lower part of bodywork by generating some quads.

Then I modeled another props from the back part of the car such as the number plate and chrome piece with the Mini’s logo.

Then of that I continued with the top part such as the support and ceiling.

Then I focused on the side and back windows. I modeled them from a plane with some subdivisions.

Then I modeled the top aerial from a box and cylinder.

After I had finished the bodywork, I modeled the only back wiper. The technique I used to model it was the same I used to model the front wipers. So I generated the different pieces in which the back wiper was divided.  There were four jointed pieces, and I modeled each one from a plane by extruding and moving edges.

First of all, I created the straight version of the wiper, and then I applied a Bend and Lattice deformer to adapt it to back window.

Then I prepared a new high poly mesh to bake it over low poly mesh. It was a little sign of letters called “ONE”. Also I began from a plane, and I adapted it to bodywork by means of Shrink Wrap deformer.

In addition, I created the tail light and its chrome frame from the border edge of hole in the bodywork. I used some triads in curved corners in order to save the amount of quads. This mesh of tail light would use as a base to paint the inner pieces in texturing phase in Substance Painter without inner modeling.

Then I began to finish the rest of plastic protection in the back part. So I created a loop around the wheel and I connected it with the side part. Next I generated the main loops of lower back part. Also I modeled the little red light in the inner hole. Finally I finished this part by filling the gap, and I modeled the hole of the exhaust pipe by means of Booleans.

Finally the belly pan was the last part I had to model. So I began from a plane and I shaped it to adapt to perimeter of the bodywork.

All of that is the whole car in low poly version and several little meshes in high poly. Now I will continue by preparing the high poly from low poly model. So I show you a little turntable of my low poly car for videogames.

• serdialCGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

4_Modeling of Mini One First car HighPoly model

Hi 3DModelers,

Today I write a new post about my work in progress of my car. I have been a little bit busy for two weeks as another order of my 3D teachers for a Final Master Videogame’s Project. Now I show you the simple process of HighPoly model to bake it then.

During the modeling stage I showed you several pieces of the car in highpoly version such as the Mini’s logo, the wheel, the rim, the lower grille, the side indicator, and so on.

Other pieces were subdivided by means of Smooth Tool with one division level in order to smooth these pieces. Although the bodywork was divided in the different pieces such as the bonnet, side doors, ceiling, lower bumper, and the boot. Then of that I modeled the inner joint between the pieces, and beveled each hard edge to smooth it.

• serdialCGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

5_Mapping UV of Mini One First car

Hi 3DModelers,

In this post I show you the mapping UV of this car. This process was easier and faster than the modeling stage. My mapping workflow is to begin by applying a Planar mapping to all the pieces, and then I cut each edge to prepare the uv shells in order to unfold them correctly. Always I usually review the distortion of each UV shell in the UV Editor of Maya. Finally I did an automatic Layout, and the result didn’t like me.

For that reason, I had to organize the layout of all UV shells manually. In the next image you can see the automatic layout of Maya in the left side, and two manual layouts in the center and right side.

Some observations about this mapping were the texel density and the overlapping. First of all, all the pieces of the car had the same texel density, although the plane of undercarriage had a different texel density, and its UV shell was smaller than the rest of the UV shells. On the other hand, many pieces were symmetrical such as the headlight, doors, indicators, frames, wheels and rims, rearview mirrors, and so on. For that reason, all these UV shells were overlapped.

In the next post I will show you the baking phase with the normal and ambient occlusion maps in Substance Painter.

• serdialCGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

6_Baking of Mini One First car

Hi 3DModelers,

Today I come back to show you the result of baking from Highpoly to Lowpoly model by getting normal and ambient occlusion map in Substance Painter.

An important thing was to delete the repeated pieces in order to avoid error and warnings in Substance. Also I baked in different phases to get the best result of ambient occlusion map. Thus I baked the wheel and the rim separately, and then I baked the inner pieces of headlight. At final I baked the rest of the car, and I composed all the maps in Photoshop carefully.

This was the result of baking where you can see the low poly model and then its baked maps.

7_Texturing of Mini One First car

Finally I show you the texturing of the car and its look development in Substance Painter. I usually texture all my assets by beginning from a clean shader, and then I apply wear, dust and dirt. Some materials were tileables textures like the grille, and the others were real photos such as the indicators, number plates and rear lights.

I like to organize all the layers in files where I define the kind of the piece I am texturing. Also I used several smart masks to dirt and wear the car. Finally I export textures in 2048 x 2048 px.

Here you can see the different maps I got from Substance Designer. These maps were Diffuse, Roughness, Metallic, Normal, Ambient Occlusion, Emissive and Opacity Maps.

Finally I hope that my car likes you, and the last thing I show you is short gif with the process of texturing stage and the look development of Mini One First’s car.

Thanks you for your attention.

• fabian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi, thanks for sharing this work. I've started to go deeper into clean topology and now wonder about some triangles, for example the one above/ahead of the rear wheel arch and the ones around the door handle. I expected the subdivision surface modifier to do weird stuff there, but obviously it didn't. Can someone explain to me why it is okay to out triangles there?

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

serdialCGI said

"Finally I hope that my car likes you, and the last thing I show you is short gif with the process of texturing stage and the look development of Mini One First’s car."

It does, very nice :)

One of the best automotive high flow walkthroughs I've seen that not only deserves resurrection but recognition as well so a real pity your project didn't spark more interest...in fact dunno how I missed it either.

Edit:

@fabian if you're referring too the high poly geometry?! then those particular triangles have adjacent support loops either side controlling boundary edge flow for various panel cuts/shapes, hence enabling the subd algorithm todo its thing without throwing distortion errors on a curved surface i.e. 'knowing where and when too place them is key'

Moar info that might be beneficial in terms of methodology whether realtime or offline asset generation:

Karol Miklas - https://80.lv/articles/vehicle-production-for-games/

Ali Ismail - https://www.ebalstudios.com/tutorials

• Frigus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frigus polycounter lvl 6

great topic thanks for sharing.