Home Career & Education

How to get into creative/inspiration mode

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Finnn greentooth
Hey everyone :)
I wanna start a discussion about being in creative mode, the time of great ideas, of inspiration.
Would be lovely if you share your habits, your way of thinking,how you focus, how you come up with ideas and or perhaps your creative environment. Everything that get's you into a creative mood.

My creativity works best, when I am alone and my thoughts aren't too busy. I write alot of music and those ideas come to my mind while jaming and being calm. If I do too much thinking about being creative, the outcome isn't 'real'. I'd say I am a fast creative, my best ideas come in seconds.

Let me know you feel about creativity!

Replies

• Invidelis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Invidelis polycounter lvl 2
    I believe mostly from iterating an idea (sketch, blockout etc.) into something more unique. IDK about inspiration and all that ..usually it doesnt strike me personally out of nowhere. Making a refference cloud or iterating something yields the most results for me. OFC all while having some cool jams in the back.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Well inspiration can come from anywhere really. 
    So one must be open, sometimes ideas  can come from seeing interesting old games,

For example, I once checked out a a game called "Pop n' twin bee" and it inspired me to make a ship based fellow.
    Arms came out and I decided to make an arms fellow of my own.
    The list goes on. 

Sometimes hearing strange phrases or plays on words., has inspired me to create new fellows.
    I once made a fellow named "eggscalibur" which was an egg based warriro who transformed into eggsclaibur. 
    A current fellow that have on my site is called "mandrake" based off of the mythical being and the fact that he is a duck.
    The pun also extends to the Japanese language as "kamonegi" is a type of leak, but "kamo" also means duck.

Sometimes ideas can come to you if you are just randomly sketching in the sketchbook or doing the silhouette studies;
    you never know what can come from these. 

Also going on long walks has helped me come up with dudes as well, you never know what you will come up with.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    For me, exercise actually gets me very creative. In the gym, ideas sometimes hit me. Or when I'm going home from exercising (like in the train, bus, car etc.). Also going into nature and being curious about your surroundings in general. Inspiration is everywhere. And of course, Artstation. So many amazing artists out there who show you what's possible :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    A simple 'urge' or 'ich' is all it takes to make stuff when on down time but money is always the prime motivator if the rent is due forthwith...
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Get out of the city. Away from people. Go for a hike. Get outside your comfort zone. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Get deeper into the city.  Get extremely close to people.  Go concreete pounding.  Get outside of your comfort zone.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Get deeper into the city. 
    made me immediately think of this, for whatever reason : 

Image result for hey arnold sewer king
    (sewer king, from "Hey Arnold", if anybody remembers that show)
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Get deeper into the city.  Get extremely close to people.  Go concreete pounding.  Get outside of your comfort zone.
    Please tell me what concrete pounding is. :D I agree with getting out of the comfort zone, many people dont. I like meeting random people and having discussions. No need to make friends with everyone, conflict can also be very healthy :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd call concrete pounding just exploring the "Concrete jungle.
    "
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Does anyone do scribbles and quick sketches regularly ?

Would be interesting to talk about how to come up with quick, random ideas.
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    One technique could be finding an idea for every alphat letter. This could work for quickly sketching random ideas and then grow some of them, if they give you the 'spark'.
    Also possibly connecting ideas with colors you see. For example looking at anything yellow. You connect yellow with sun, beach or straw, then you connect straw with the roof of a mill in a medieval setting. There you go :D

Let me know if you have other ideas how to brainstorm.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I inkblot a lot.

Light scribbling I don't look at for a couple seconds, and then I look at it to "massage out" a shape to finish the sketch. I especially use this if I have no particular design I want to do.
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    That is a cool technique too
  • dropyhop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dropyhop polycounter lvl 10
    I open Artstation every single morning and just browse through stuff people created. It always forces me to keep learning and push further.
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    dropyhop said:
    I open Artstation every single morning and just browse through stuff people created. It always forces me to keep learning and push further.
    I look through all this amazing art on Artstation too. It's very inspiring.
    Although I think "consuming" too much art can also easily distract from making it yourself.