Home Technical Talk

Is it possible to have separate UV maps for a merged object?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
uncle808us polycounter lvl 4

Is it possible to have separate UV maps for a merged object?   That is the question. Can I have one object but separate uv maps for different polygon groups without the UV maps overlapping? Thank you.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I did this for a Postbox prop recently. They started off as separate objects (i.e paint, metal doors, plastic stand), I unwrapped them seperately, then I attached them all together. 

It appeared to work since when I imported it into substance painter, the seperate UV maps were preserved but it was all one mesh. I did use the multi-sub object in 3DS Max, to color code or make it easier to seperate them.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    if its one object it does have one set of uvs...

but you could use UDIMs to work with two textures... just move them to the 1-2 uv space...

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. You can have multiple materials assigned to one object and the UVs can be whatever they need to be to support that material. Of course it depends which apps and what render engine you are using that will determine just how you go about that.
  • uncle808us
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uncle808us polycounter lvl 4
    Mark Dygert:"Yep. You can have multiple materials assigned to one object and the UVs can be whatever they need to be to support that material. Of course it depends which apps and what render engine you are using that will determine just how you go about that."
    I use Cheetah 3D. build in renderer.
    oglu: " but you could use UDIMs to work with two textures... just move them to the 1-2 uv space..."
    I don't know what 
    UDIMs are could you elaborate a bit on this? Thanks
    Thank you both for replying you too. JordanN  but I don't use Max or substance painter.