Home Career & Education

Go back to school or Grind on my own

bbrumlev
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
bbrumlev null
I'm sure this is a question that has been asked a million times by now but I've been getting conflicting advice from friends and family. I want to become an 3d environmental artist, I already have been to school and have a degree in History but Im debating going back for Graphic Design (the only thing offered at my school that is in that realm of modeling). It would give me a good foundation but the cost vs the time does not seem worth it. I figure I can learn 3d Max, Zbrush and photoshop through pluralsight and lynda.(I have already done this with AutoCad and have my user certification for it.)

I figure spend 3 years building a portfolio and perfecting the skills needed for the career is better vs spending 3 years going to school taking gen-eds to just get another peice of paper where ill have to learn the computer programs on my own anyways. I have already registered for school to see if any pre-reqs will carry over from my other degree.....I doubt they will.

What are yalls thoughts? I would appreciate any advice to get a better direction.

Replies

• garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    It's a toss up, but I'd say just work on your portfolio. A degree isn't as needed, although some schools have some close relationships with some studios. There are cases where the job you end up getting in games can be a lot different than what you studied in. I'm hoping another artist would chime in on this, I know there are some that have degrees in architecture, graphic design, or animation, maybe even writing. I have a degree in media arts, or 3D animation, but the stuff I do now has nothing or less to do with animations. This is just my two-cents.
  • SundeepSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SundeepSingh polycounter lvl 5
    Definitely grind on your own if you are really serious and have the will power, school imo was a waste of money for me, i have learnt more on YouTube and other tutorials more than i ever did in university.
  • sharsein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sharsein polycounter lvl 9
    Mentored courses are probably the better option for you. The ones I've taken through CGSociety/CGMA have been really good so far: https://www.cgmasteracademy.com/courses?p[0]=3D&p[1]=Environment/Prop+Modeling
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Grind on Polycount.

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Are you trying to find "the best way" ? Because there is no best way, just do what YOUR circumstances allow for, and what YOU are willing to do. Doing what other people recommend might not suit your life-style and in the long run even regret it.Always listen to your gut.But for what is worth i've been learning by myself and i'm dying to find a mentor tell me what to do to improve.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Save your money!...self-paced learning is the bomb B)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @ptgibson14

I've been, on my free time, providing guidance for a few Polycounters here, inlcuding alex_kim.  I'm open to receiving messages and answering questions.  Feel free to email me

If you want more focused learning, there are paid mentorships others are providing:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2629817#Comment_2629817
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Good luck grinding on your own. The problem that is hard to fix is motivation and self determination. 

Even with say CGMA, you would still need to do the work and it is a lot of time of self studying. I feel if you went to a normal school you would be around people making it easier instead of on your own in your basement grinding away. Just if you self study try to do something that gets rid of stress and maybe do something social. 

Grinding in your basement doesn't really do wonders for your personality.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I think its more about the options available to you.

Graphic design isn't going to give you a portfolio for 3D Art, since that seems to be your focus.

As an artist expect many days of grinding alone even if you went to your school since there are market forces that decide how well your portfolio will be received with regards to getting work, and you may need to relocate.

The main thing you want to make sure of if your grinding alone is spending the time learning the right techniques. After that its just practising doing what you're passionate about.

Many game dev schools and online courses do provide contacts in the game industry as well as for future collaborations, so that can be an asset in the long term.

Plus there's life experiences in the company of others that is very valuable, probably more important than getting the best job in the world (and everyone has their own opinion of what is the best job in the world.)
  • Christian Cunningham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Cunningham polycounter lvl 10
    Dont grind on your own but dont go to college either. Take that money and sign up for some online courses, and after you get decent then pay a professional to mentor you.

• artbychien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artbychien polycounter lvl 8
    I had been taking CG Society/CGMA/Game Art Institute courses online. I am happy about all of them. 
    So far, the online mentorship works the best for me.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    pangaea said:
    Grinding in your basement doesn't really do wonders for your personality.
    I resent that! :wink:

I had been taking CG Society/CGMA/Game Art Institute courses online. I am happy about all of them. 
    So far, the online mentorship works the best for me.
    Are you by chance doing the next gen character course? I've been curious about this one, led by Adam Skutt. I sent a portfolio review request but haven't got an answer. I've curious how involved the instructor is with the student, sharing advanced techniques, versus just being a cheerleader/motivational speaker.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    If you do want to go to Uni but don't want to pay a penny, then Germany is free for all undergraduate students and this includes international students. It's a fantastic country, its clean, has great trains that are fast and run on time, cheap second hand cars, shopping is cheap and the beer is the best in the world ;) 

According to the website, Studying in Germany "70% of International Students Prefer to Stay in Germany After They Finish Their Studies, Survey Reveals" Thus having graduates that have no debt and can buy stuff and put money into one of the richest countries in the world, it really is not rocket science, but I guess the world must love debt as the student marches I go on seem to get smaller each year, cheers!

• artbychien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artbychien polycounter lvl 8
    @BIGTIMEMASTER

I focused on the environment and props creation, so I don't know much about the character courses.
    The Adam Skutt one is the Game Art Institute course?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, under the character arts program.