Home Technical Talk

Maya LT Rigging (and Auto-Riggers)

Hey folks! Nice to be here ;) I've lurked Polycount for years but never actually signed up, so here I am!

I'll cut to the chase here: I'm looking for a (mostly) automated Maya LT rigging process to use here at Reptoid Games that's better suited to keyframe animation than quickrig/humanik.

I've been building rigs manually (placing joints, making curves, creating constraints, etc all manually) in order to get the kind of control our animators need. This works well, but is time consuming. We're using Maya LT, which means no fun plugins because no python support. I give HumanIK / Quick Rig another shot every few Maya versions, but they're poorly suited to keyframe animation (it's possible I'm using them wrong, but there's little documentation on why they do the strange things they do when posing & keying).

I could spend time writing MEL scripts to automate things, but I'd like to avoid spending the time & I know there are far better riggers out there than I, who have surely built something good. Or not? I can't anything online.

I don't feel it's unreasonable to continue using Maya LT, but 3rd party rigging automation just doesn't seem to exist for it.

Have you folks got any good rigging automation / tools / resources for Maya LT ?

A couple of the seemingly basic things that we're looking for out of an autorigger
  • Simple control curve constraint automation
  • FK/IK Switch (for arms mostly)
  • Joint driven facial animation
  • Head and Eye Aim Constraints
  • Weight Painting