Home Quixel Megascans

Transparency in Paint Layers turns black & other weird stuff

null
Offline / Send Message
dapeachy null
I've recently started working with Quixel and find myself having to figure out what went wrong more than I actually get to use it.. The two big things that seriously delay me getting anywhere with my texturing is A. painting color layers have their transparency turned black once I exit painting mode, and B. entire painting layers seem to just vanish with no discernible reason.

I'll try to break down what I'm doing:
- Import a base albedo map that I want to add details to via painting layers
- Add a new painting layer on the albedo category
- activate painting mode and start painting small details on top of the base map
- deactivate painting mode when I'm happy with the result
- suddenly transparency is converted to full black, cannot see base map anymore, like so:

Am I misunderstanding what Color Painting is supposed to be used for and is this simply how those layers work? Or is there something wrong with the workflow that causes this to happen? What can I do different?

The second part is really not that easy to explain as I have absolutely no idea whats causing it. I finished my work on a painting layer yesterday and was very satisfied with the result. Did some small touch ups in Photoshop, saved the .psd and went to bed. Today, when I opened it, everything looked fine, the changes in Photoshop carried over to 3do with no problem. So I added a new painting layer to continue, painted in some details (see above) and as soon as I deactivated painting mode and the new layer's transparency turned black, this older layer turned black in a similar manner - but now *everything* was black and not just the transparency, the whites and browns I used were completely gone. The layer was still in the list of layers, it was just empty save for the parts that were supposed to be masked (so the mask layer got inverted too somehow??)

I immediately closed the project without saving and thankfully the old psd is still there, but I'm rather hesitant to try any of that again now.

Does anybody know what the heck is going on here and how I can prevent it?

Replies