Home Career & Education

best metaphors/analogies to explain what you do to laypeople/older relatives/etc.?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
so for me when my grandparents or other less computer/game oriented folks ask me about what I do for a living (env art/etc.) i usually explain that it's like how films need people to make props and sets for the actors to interact with but instead it's on a computer and the props and sets for a video game. a way i got my grandfather to understand specifically was by comparing environment art to building model train scenery which was something he had experience with.

when ive had people ask more specifically how 3d models/materials/environments are made it's difficult to explain without using technical terms, how do you usually do it?

Replies

• YellowSub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowSub polycounter lvl 7
    That's a good explanation. I will usually say I'm working in 3d animation studio. In my area, lay people think game industry is the same as online gambling or something else with negative connotation. A game studio I was working in had even been raided once by local police since people nearby were suspicious it was an online gambling place.  :#
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    My go to excuse is "Make stuff look like Pixar". 

Even though 99% the stuff I'm doing is not a cartoon, but it's the closest mainstream word to describe 3D. Kinda like how people still call every game system a Nintendo. 
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I've been studying and doing 3D modeling for over a year. My mom tells people I am into animation even though I've never once animated something. Even when I tell people I make 3D art they assume I'm talking about traditional sculpture or something. It's really made me think about how loose of a grasp most folks (including myself until relatively recently) have on this whole field.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    crawl said:
    I've been studying and doing 3D modeling for over a year. My mom tells people I am into animation even though I've never once animated something. Even when I tell people I make 3D art they assume I'm talking about traditional sculpture or something. It's really made me think about how loose of a grasp most folks (including myself until relatively recently) have about this whole field.

This reminds me of a time someone thought an environment artist was a gardener.   :D

Though in a sense, both terms might have truth. You still make sculptures if you use Zbrush/Mudbox. And you're responsible for plants if you work in any 3D environment. 
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I find "game art" makes people assume you design games, so I usually say 3D art, which still confuses most. I try to relate it to sculpture and painting. For some reason the computer's involvement befuddles people. They can understand physical artwork but not its direct digital analogue. Sometimes the elderly have ignored tech for 20+ years and can't comprehend work that you show them. It's hard to think like somebody who doesn't understand computers at all.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    "Imagine clay sculpting, but done with software instead of real tools."
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    i tell people I do colouring in and if that doesn't work I just confess to being middle management
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I say I work on graphic design or just 'in software'. Most of the time I just say 'something boring' and leave it at that unless they press.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    It depends. If somebody just randomly asks me what I do for living I say 3D artists for games. If they press on I just say I don't program, I do the visual stuff. If they still want to know more - I show examples (guess regular people can check artstation as well ;) ). Now if it is one of the rare cases they still want to know even more I explain it to that degree the specific person understands/wants to know avoiding any technical terms and rather support it with pictures. It's knowing your audience and talking in terms they can relate to. Besides having to explain high poly to low poly there is very little that is complicated to make someone else understand since there is no need to go into technical details. In the end you model and paint assets and put them somewhere in the scene, nothing too outlandish to understand.

Since we are doing visual stuff, I don't think great metaphors are necessary. A picture says more than a thousand words.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    '- Remember the paddles in Pong and those clouds in Mario?
    - I make things like that.'
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Too old and grumpy to explain in depth when asked, so it's just "Keyboard Artist" and left at that.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Once I told a women that I was a 3D artist...
    She replied that it was very interesting since she had just bought herself a 3D TV...

No kidding.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I was posting on Facebook all the time talking about how I'd be spending the weekend practicing modeling, or that I was getting better at modeling. One of my friends actually thought I was practicing being a fashion model or something.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I just say I work in the imports and exports business, sometimes with vague allusions that the work is highly illegal, and leave it at that. 
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    "I make pretty pictures on a computer", for anyone that only knows how to use e-mail and web on a computer. Generally, "3D Artist" is sufficient.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Try telling someone you are a games Lighting Artist..... oh boy.  That is an interesting conversation lol.  I get "wow, so you get to place the lights in the rooms?" all the time.  Usually I just say yeah, but in reality that is like 5% of my day to day.  
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I tell them "do you see in tv commercials, where they showcase a cleaning product, that the flowers go around the screen, or the harry potter magic spells and dragons? I do this, it's like drawing" 
    I will not explain further the difference in video games vs film... If they are familiar with the subject i will further discuss specialization.
  • polygonboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygonboi null
    i usually compare it to papercraft if the person is aware of what that is