Home Marmoset

Baking overlapping (matching) UVs in Marmoset Toolbag 3.04

Hi,

I'm just getting to know the baker in Toolbag and so far I'm loving the workflow. One thing I can't work out though - how to handle overlapping UVs that match perfectly when re-using texture space.

For example, say I have an object with matching handles that run along the left and right sides. In the past using the baker in Substance Painter I would overlap the matching UVs for each handle, select the UVs for one handle and offset those UVs by 1 so they lie outside the bake area and would be ignored by Painter's bake and paint tools (but the texturing would display correctly in the viewport in the same way a game engine would handle the offset UVs).

Offsetting the UVs by 1 doesn't seem to be working in Toolbag though. Have I missed something? I guess an easy-ish workaround would be to delete one handle from my high and low poly bake meshes.. but I kind of like the logic/simplicity of offsetting the UVs for re-used texture space. 

Thanks for reading.. 

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Offsetting the UVs by 1 should work, can you post more details about the specific problem you're having with that workflow?
  • cantankerous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for responding EarthQauke..

Edit - this is crazy but after just posting some images to explain, I think I just spotted the mistake. It looks like my error, the overlapping UV's aren't offset by 1 - they're slightly off horizontally.

Edit 2 - So yes, that was the problem. Its baking fine now. Entirely my mistake. I guess I was so focused on Marmoset that I let my guard down with the UV's. So the lesson is not to offset overlapping UV's until absolutely sure UV's arent going to move. (Thinking about it, maybe it would be kinda cool if you could link UV islands like you can layers in Photoshop - so if one island moves the other goes with it).

Thanks again and sorry for the false alarm.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, glad you sorted it out.