Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Retrogasm 2018 - Boktai

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
clover_lawn polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone! 

I wanted to post about my current progress on my contribution to Retrogasm 2018.
If anyone is wondering what this is about... probably best to look it up online (Facebook is where the main competition is held) but basically you have to make an old game into now a day standards. 

I wanted to try to make the character Django from the GBA game Boktai: the sun is in your hands
I loved this game as a kid and wanted to give it the love it deserves! 

I realised that my work so far is very low poly and handpainted stuff so wanted to challenge myself this time by practising more on Zbrush and try Substance. 
Of course faith hates me and my PC decided to stop working, and now that I've fix it I realised I have very little time left, so hopefully I get to have some feedback on this threat to improve as fast as I can. 

Replies

• clover_lawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first sculpt where I'm trying to nail down the proportions. Want to keep a stylised approach but I'm aware that the proportions are still odd. 
    Took some liberties in the nose and some proportions from the concept art above because for as cool as they look I wasn't very comfortable making someone sooooo skinny lol 
    Any feedback at this stage would be very much appreciated as I want to start retopologysing as soon as possible. 
    Just realised I'm missing the massive scarf....

Will update on the gun and companion soon.  

Hands are so hard!!!  :(

• clover_lawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's Master Otenko, Django's companion. 
    Wen't straight into maya for this guy as his shape is pretty straight forward. May stylise the petals a bit more... 
  • clover_lawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sun gun is finished and UV mapped. 
    Never baked maps for hard surfaces before so I hope it's a straight forward process.... 

• clover_lawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh god...I'm so behind... 
    Looking at all the final entries both inspires me and depress me at the same time. 
    I'm definitely finishing this project, but whether I do it on time is another story. 
    I'm finishing the retopo on the character which I need to UV map and take onto Zbrush to get some details to bake. 
    Need to get quickly into texturing so if anyone knows of good (and quick) tutorials for Substance that'd be appreciated! 

Also did an quick coffin to use as a base for the model. Wish I had the time to add more details to it but I was also impressed on how quickly I made this.

• clover_lawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around sculpting some details and it's ready to bake UVs. This is my first time trying Substance Painter for baking maps and hopefully it'll be a smooth process. 

Also, I initially wanted to tackle the hair as a single mesh with baked details, but wanted to try this amazing tutorial for making amazing looking hair and so far it's been really nice to see hair shaping up.