Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter 2018.1.1 - file size issue

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
on previous versions of painter, before checking into source control, i would delete additional/mesh maps and run file>clean which tends to make the file size much more manageable for upload and download (2-3gb + sizes down to 100mb or so).

This doesn't seem to be working on 2018.1.1 for me ... the file size always remains the same on save.

If i then save the project as a brand new file, the size becomes what i would expect, around 100mb.  You'd think i could then re-save that over the file in source control, right? Wrong - the original 3gb size of that file remains (which is pretty mad in itself)

At the moment, i'm having to check in a new file into source control each time, which kinda defeats the point and is awful for someone doing a fresh checkout.

Anyone know whats going on? Something i've missed? Bug? Workarounds etc?

ta

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Cleaning was causing file corruption a version or two back,  it wouldn't surprise me if it behaves a lot more cautiously now and does less size reduction. 

Your source control problem sounds like a problem with the source control system rather than painter tbh. I'd take that up with your IT guys. 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The next release will feature several improvements to the saving process, giving you more control over the size of your project.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    @Jerc

thats good to hear

in the meantime, is this a bug or as designed, it seems pretty crazy. In addition to the above, file sizes seem to increase on each save, regardless of if anything has changed. Only saving as a new file, ‘save as’, seems to behave as expected and as per previous versions, which is most odd. The strangest thing is save-as to a new small file, and then saving back over the top of the original  bloated  file, not changing the size of the bloated one . It seems the same to the last kb.

Because this doesn’t seem to be generating as much general forum discussion/reporting as I would expect if it was a global issue for all users , I’m wondering if it’s sonetthing that could be user/project specific somehow and therefore possibly having a workaround 

@poopipe I disagree, regardless of how much server space/bandwidth a dev may have (we’re using Assembla so both of those are finite and file size is definitely an issue), inconsistent/inexplicable/unwanted  behaviour when it comes to  saved files and workflow is always an issue with the software, and not just devs moaning and that 

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    you know what - you're right.  Ive just done a couple of tests and there's definitely something silly happening with file sizes. 

Are you able to save as , delete your local copy of the old file and then rename  the new before committing changes ?  that should keep you source history intact