Home Career & Education

Lack of direction and needing others' opinion

vertex
Offline / Send Message
maiu vertex
I really need some constructive criticism and opinion about my portfolio. i want to understand what i need to improve and if i'm good at anything at all.

I studied game development and 3D low poly modeling and finished last year but it was lacking in many ways and we didn't learn enough.

The game industry in my country is almost non existent and if there is a job it's only for senior positions, hence why I'm trying to find a job in another country, especially in Europe. I keep looking for Internships and Junior positions but i don't have a good enough sense of where i am skill wise, what i should work on most to improve, if i'm better at 2D or 3D and I've been thinking whether i have potential at all.. so getting opinions from others would really help me.

Any encouraging word, a tip or advice could help me lots at this point honestly.

Replies

• sinnart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinnart polycounter lvl 5
    You're quite good at drawing, and have a good sense of proportion. If you go a little further, I think you'd become a pretty good Character Artist, but you should first improve your low poly modeling and texturing skills. If I were in your position, I'd show the low poly topology and textures in all your characters, I would also delete the Old Fisherman, the Game Assets, the Sci-Fi Prop, and the Beastlord Sword, take better renders of the Engine Blade, and try to make some high quality 3D assets (that might help enhance your current characters).
    I particularly liked "Aloa", you're doing a really good job on her :)
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Your portfolio screams student in every way possible.
    1. No clear direction - 2D, 3D, enviroment, props, characters all thrown together...
    2. Unfinished pieces
    3. High polys and unoptimized low polys
    4. No piece that is really on a level with professional work
    5. Works based on own concepts

I know it sounds harsh, but that's pretty much what you are putting up there. There are so many advices on how to build a professional portfolio - and honestly just by sticking to those you would raise your level significantly. Forget being a generalist - that is a disapearing role and pretty much only done by experienced artists or some really small studios.

Overall I think you have a potential for stylized art as seen with your 2 unfinished characters and the Jinnie and textures seen on the house. But right now I strongly suggest scraping the whole portfolio since no single piece really strikes me as on a professional level yet and picking a concept from a game that you like - either character or small environment - and go from start to finish on it. Don't trouble yourself with own designs, use the work of professionals to have a strong base for your work. Bring your A-game and polish it. To do so be certain that you have the stamina to see it through. If you don't, you probably have not found yet something that you like doing.

It doesn't really matter where you are good now, but what you like to do. Only things you are passionate about are things that you can push to a level to compete in this industry. There are no shortcuts and don't expect to find a job soon. Rather focus on improving for now, by finishing pieces that bring you to your limits.

If you want to go into concept art I strongly suggest some further education on traditional art. In 3D you are working with strong designs from concept artists and basically can 'copy' their knowledge. As concept artist you have noone else to do it for you.

I hope any of this helps you ;)
  • maiu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maiu vertex
    @sinnart @Biomag
    Thank you! :) it really helped me.