Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Dance Animation

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Tybalt polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone, i'm currently working on this dance and I would have liked to have your feedback and advices.
Thank you for your time and your 
your criticism.
https://syncsketch.com/sketch/8b45c3862dd9/#404514

Replies

• BoonS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoonS polycounter lvl 7
    Some general thougths:

-Put in slow-ins and slow-outs where you can. I.e. at around frame 15 the foot moves forward at a constant speed and instantly bounces back at a constant speed, try adjusting the velocity and aceleration of your movements to make them more natural.

-Kind of following the previous advice, just put more emphasis on the mass and weight of the character's parts. Right now the movements feel like they belong to another character and less in tune with the characteristics of this model, and if you intend to keep the animation file on this rig, it'd be best to tune it for this model. This is advice for the entire animation in general, but you can see it specifically at frame 142 when he hops up and lands down; his upper body is stiff and heavy, and there should be more consideration to that than using a ballerina's bounce to counter all that mass in the upper body.

-And if you ever get to that point where you've adjusted for all [12 principles of animation] you should consider adding more narrative and flavor to your animation asset. Here you have an ogre/goblin-like model doing a loose and expressive dance. If you can, it'd be great to make the most out of that contrasting elements between the dancer and the dance, somehow... anyhow... than just (what it currently seems like) using a dance made for another model placed into this one.

I hope that helps, and even if you're planning to move to another animation asset entirely I hope you can apply some these principles to future endeavors too. Good luck.
  • Tybalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tybalt polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you for your advices. Yes i agree with the narrative side of the animation. 

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    the biggest issue I saw is the foot planting and some poses feel like you let maya do a large inbetween. I know its Dimension W opening animation but even the movement from the opening in the last poses ( going to camara) feels strange in the anime : P I would speed that up and take care of the arcs!  good luck :)

One thing that helped me with a dance was to key every frame that had a bit on it , like feet planting ,higher cog , hand poses , rotations haha dances are not easy!
  • Tybalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tybalt polycounter lvl 3
    Yep thank for your feedback ! 
    I gathered several pieces of real dancer video to make it because the Animation of Dimension seems weird at some point
    Anyway thank you for these returns