Home Technical Talk

VR Art Tools for Environment Blockouts?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jStins interpolator
So one annoying aspect of creating environments for VR is not really knowing how a space will feel until you're in the headset. This means that periods of quick iteration involve a lot of moving in and out of the headset. Make a change, check it in VR, adjust, check again. Repeat until your perfect hairdo is ruined and you're annoyed that iterating is slow and clunky instead of fast and creative. 

My studio is considering developing some in house tools to alleviate this, but I want to do my due diligence and see if there's already something out there that works well specifically for environments. I have tried Tilt Brush, Medium and Blocks so far (only a few hours each so please let me know if I'm missing something). The main issue I'm encountering is that these apps are mostly focused on creating objects, rather than spaces. Scale also seems to be a bit fuzzy. I'd love to be able to specify an overall area in real world units, create a few landmark pieces of geometry at specific sizes, locations and orientations. From there, being able to navigate through a space rather than around an object while placing, scaling and rotating primitives would be ideal. So, any recommendations? 

I think I recall seeing 3DSMax coming out with a VR mode. There is also this for Maya, but we only have Maya LT at the moment. We're using Unity so anything on the Asset Store that fits the bill would also be great. 

Thanks!

Replies