Home Technical Talk

quick texel density question

jordank95
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
Im trying to get my bricks to line up correctly with my modular wall pieces. If im using a 2k brick texture, and scale my UVs to match my  texel density (which I'm currently using 5.12 per meter), the bricks dont line up the way I need them too. I need the bricks to tile a lot more. 

So, should I scale the UVs so the bricks tile correctly and disregard the actual texel density, or should I go back to my texture and increase the tiling in the texture itself?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Bricks are actually an inconvenient size for texturing so you won't be able to fit a 4m tiling section of brick wall onto a texture sheet perfectly.

Round the brick size up or down to get a whole (even) number, map it to 4m of wall and you're done. If your geometry doesn't fit, change the geometry. 

With stuff like bricks, it's more important that they remain consistently scaled than them being precisely real world size. You'll rapidly knacker any sense of scale if they're inconsistent between surfaces. 
  • jordank95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
    poopipe said:
    Bricks are actually an inconvenient size for texturing so you won't be able to fit a 4m tiling section of brick wall onto a texture sheet perfectly.

Round the brick size up or down to get a whole (even) number, map it to 4m of wall and you're done. If your geometry doesn't fit, change the geometry. 

With stuff like bricks, it's more important that they remain consistently scaled than them being precisely real world size. You'll rapidly knacker any sense of scale if they're inconsistent between surfaces. 
    Thanks for the reply. Though a bit confused. You mean round the amount of bricks on the texture itself up or down? Having trouble visualizing this. 

Also, lets say I have some modular pieces - 4x4 and 2x4 - if I map my 2k tiling texture to these with a 5.12 texel density, how would I be able to have these wall pieces connected together without an obvious seam between them? I need the texture to tile between the two pieces seamlessly. Whats the method here?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Change the number of bricks to fit.

The answer to your second question is that you can't really. 
    In practice, 4m is quite a long way and you probably wouldn't see a completely featureless brick surface bigger than that in the real world so you can hide the seam with a natural split in geometry or slap a tree in the way etc..