Home Career & Education

Tips on learning about 3d facial anatomy

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Rhesa_j polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, so i have been learning about 3d sculpting for quite a while and i've been struggling on how to sculpt human faces. I've watched some tutorials and now I try to do some practices in 2d first but then when i try to do it in 3d i'm still not sure how to do it. Do you guys practices until you are really good at 2d first or do you have any other method? I need a guidance here. Thank you.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You do some faces, you post them here. People make suggestions. You consider them. You try again. You watch some tutorials from the best in the industry. You try again. You post results here. When you get no responses or people say things like, "Your earlobes are 3mm too far to the left," then you know you are mostly doing things right.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Rhesa_j
    Do you sculpt the planes of the face?
  • Rhesa_j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You do some faces, you post them here. People make suggestions. You consider them. You try again. You watch some tutorials from the best in the industry. You try again. You post results here. When you get no responses or people say things like, "Your earlobes are 3mm too far to the left," then you know you are mostly doing things right.
    thank you for the reply. Definitely will do that.

@Rhesa_j
    Do you sculpt the planes of the face?
    @Brian%20"Panda"%20Choi what do you mean by the planes of the face?
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool

That is what Panda is talking about. Might not make sense the first time you see it, but its one of the most helpful references there is. Even when doing realistic faces, you will be looking for these plane changes in your reference and model since they happen in every face.

They help you simplify the shapes and look for the right things. Once you get those right, its basically just smoothing and adding secondary/tertiary details on top.
  • Rhesa_j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:

That is what Panda is talking about. Might not make sense the first time you see it, but its one of the most helpful references there is. Even when doing realistic faces, you will be looking for these plane changes in your reference and model since they happen in every face.

They help you simplify the shapes and look for the right things. Once you get those right, its basically just smoothing and adding secondary/tertiary details on top.
    @biomag ah i get it. I actually have been thinking about this for a while but i haven't been able to find a high resolution reference for it.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5