Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First head bust WIP.

jake1210
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
jake1210 polycounter lvl 4
Looking for critiques to point me in the right direction. I am usually more into Environment modeling, but I want to learn more anatomy. The bandana is barely started as I want to perfect the shape before I get into detail. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Its hard to see in the front view, but overall the face could use some definition and character.
    planes of the head - female 3d model obj stl 1
    You might want to concentrate on physical forms for the time being and get into texturing a little later. The anatomy shapes are easier to see on a plane model.
  • jake1210
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga Thank you so much for sharing this image! Definitely helps me see the bone structures a lot better.
  • jake1210
    Offline / Send Message
    I got rid of most of the texturing and brought to a lower subdivision to Dynamesh the face properly. I have tried to get the facial structures more in tact and would be very appreciative a critique on where I might be going wrong or what I may have missed. 
  • ZudoKu
    Offline / Send Message
    ZudoKu null
    Nice work! Practice makes perfect, keep it up!

I'm not expert, but I've done a litte editing of the profile with some real world reference i found on internet about the main problems i see.
    I'll kind of list them , in case you dont understeand my guide lines.
    • The head in general is too rounded or spherical. In the real reference you can see that the head has some change directions. You can use the reference kanga gave you, to see the head planes. This is clear in the red and green lines. Those changes need more contrast. The most important thing in a head is the basic proportions. 
    • The distance from the eye to the ear is too big. The form of the ear is too square, it should be more rounded.
    • In the eye, the skin that folds up above the eyelid, should have more contrast (the skin really folds up and makes a hard shadow line) A good way to see this is taking a mirror and just playing with your eye and skin so you can  understeand how it works. Also, the eyelid border seems too thick , it is really really thin!
    • The muscles that go above the mouth are pointing to the jaw, they should point more to the chin. Look for head muscles references on internet.
    • The mouth is too long, this may vary a lot from person to person, but in this case it's too exagerated, you should go for something more subtle. Also, the part of the mouth above the lips has a little more volume, giving you a curved in > direction, not < (light blue line).

You should do this kind of thinking process everytime you compare your work to references.

Hope this helps. Use tons of reference, from diferent angles. They will be your best friend in the learning process. If you can get a 3d human scan, they are super helpful. Keep it up! (and sorry for my english!)

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is that Tupac? (Are you using him as reference?)

Why you trying to start some West Coast rap beef again, breh?
  • jake1210
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZudoKu Thank you very much for laying this out for me! This will help immensely in getting those proper proportions in. I am also realizing now the main side reference I am using is more of a head turn than a side view. Now I have a starting point to pin point those areas! Thanks again!! 

• jake1210
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi I'm just trying to unite I swear haha! But glad you noticed how I was referencing.
  • ZudoKu
    Offline / Send Message
    ZudoKu null
    jake1210 said:
    @ZudoKu Thank you very much for laying this out for me! This will help immensely in getting those proper proportions in. I am also realizing now the main side reference I am using is more of a head turn than a side view. Now I have a starting point to pin point those areas! Thanks again!! 

no prob mate! good luck and keep it up!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What reference images of Tupac are you using?
  • jake1210
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi

One for front, one for side for the "Floor", but I have also been looking at many others. I can't quite find a perfect side view of him anywhere it seems. I have rotated the side as his head has a slight down tilt, but once I get one to feel right and rotate the model, the other seems way off.