Home Career & Education

Applied for a job - usual wait times?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
Taylor Brown ngon master
Hey y'all, I applied for a jr production coordinator position at a game studio a few days ago. I've never been in the industry so I don't know how long I should expect to wait to hear back. Do studios generally move slow for lower level positions? How long should I wait before reaching out? Should I reach out at all?

Had a hard day at work and I'm having a hard time managing my expectations :)

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    depends on the studio but I would say anything more than a couple weeks means they are not interested. there are so many factors, I would just get straight back to making more portfolio art while you wait and dont over think it. I recently wrote a huge article that might have some useful info for your situation :)

https://www.polygon-academy.com/10-insider-tips-for-artists-applying-to-game-studios/
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I've read it before and it is a great guide. I'm not going to stop making art. Infact, the position wouldn't be creative at all. I'd value working in the same SPACE as artists. For reference, I spend my work hours in a basement warehouse.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have more info about interviews and followups here FWIW
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#Interviews

Best of luck!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Keep in mind, it's around this time (April/May) students are now graduating from colleges/universities so I wont be surprised if studios right now are being flooded with thousands of applicants.

I would strongly advise looking around your area/state and see if there are any job fairs being held at schools, especially because these same studios usually send a representative to these events and conduct interviews up front. 

As for wait times, from my experience, I actually did get a response the first day after I sent mass applications. Although some of them were just confirmation emails or they told me they weren't hiring right now. A real job position showed up 1 week later in which I spent a few days setting up an interview schedule.

I also got a response that came 6 months later, but the person asked if I could do a different job.

Judging by some of the speedy responses, there's no doubt people did take the time to look. But if I had a far stronger portfolio, the responses would turn more into actual interview requests. 
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I've encountered everything from the next day up to three months later.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Thank you all for the feedback. Sounds like it's pretty much up in the air. Guess I'll just have to learn to make my heart stop skipping a beat every time my phone vibrates.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Goes with the territory, when awaiting for a response after applying that might potentially be mind-blowingly awesome if successful which can be a tad wearing on the old nerves...anyway best of luck.

Also purely out of curiosity, what exactly does a role like "jr production coordinator" entail?    

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I am currently in the 6th month of an application, last interview in a series of them with that AAA studio is a month back... another studio from that same developer had contacted me and scheduled an interview within a week, next day art test and then about month for the final decision...

Basically the more junior you are the less they have pressure to deal with your application and the less attention you get.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Nothing to do with being a junior.
    I once got a positive response on a lead artist role after a year. That was funny :D

Best answer here is ... "it depends"
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Biomag said:
    I am currently in the 6th month of an application, last interview in a series of them with that AAA studio is a month back... another studio from that same developer had contacted me and scheduled an interview within a week, next day art test and then about month for the final decision...

Basically the more junior you are the less they have pressure to deal with your application and the less attention you get.
    I commend your patience for waiting out that long.

Personally though, I think any job that requires a 6 to 12 month que begins to fall into excessive territory.
    We live in changing times where a job is necessary to not starve yourself to death, and the thought of going through a 1 year application with the odd chance a studio might drop interest half way though is a complete mental wreck on the nerves. I rather just be given a straight answer 
    that in 2 ~ 5 weeks time they found someone more capable.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    @JordanN
    It has nothing to do with patience, but with lack of alternatives.  In the meantime I am also applying elsewhere, but my skill level seems to be too low to attract offers, making it hard to not play along.

@defragger
    A year?? Did they pick someone else and then changed their opinion or where they just building up a new team? In my case it's the second. Being a junior I am only going to be contacted once they have the other roles filled out - at least that's what they said a month ago.

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    sacboi said:

Goes with the territory, when awaiting for a response after applying that might potentially be mind-blowingly awesome if successful which can be a tad wearing on the old nerves...anyway best of luck.

Also purely out of curiosity, what exactly does a role like "jr production coordinator" entail?    

I get the impression it's basically just being a gopher, or a low level producer. Here are the major duty breakdowns:

• Assist the Production staff in all areas related to the development process.
    • Help track and maintain all production schedules.
    • Facilitate team communication, ensure timely dissemination of information.
    • Coordinates with Quality Control department for product testing cycles.
    • Provide support for game teams and leadership, including (but not limited to):
    • Coordinate gate meetings and attendance
    • Gather reference data and imagery
    • Capture and edit game/reference footage
    • Build action lists and write-ups as needed
    • Prepare/communicate meeting agenda and notesAll in all, it doesn't sound too far off from what I do now, which isn't exactly where my heart is but I can perform well enough. There just wouldn't be any back breaking labor and I'd get to see cool art all day. Major pluses to me.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    sacboi said:

It sounds like a low lever producer / production assistant gig. 

All in all, it wouldn't be far off from what I do now as a production manager in a light manufacting environment. Just without back breaking labor and I'd get to see awesome artists at work.

@Biomag
    stay strong dude!