Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Why'd you choose to be an Environment Artist?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Soul Exist polycounter lvl 9
Question for all my environment artists. Why environment art? You could have become anything else, art related or not. Why'd you choose to be an environment artist? I wanna know your inspirations. Doesn't matter if you're already in the game industry, student, or hobbyist. I wanna hear it all, from every perspective.

Replies

• alexrc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexrc interpolator
    Ill take a shot at this question. For me, regardless of what characters I make or what other pieces I work on, environment art is in my opinion a league of its own. You're essentially creating a place from pure imagination, whether its a small town or a large landscape, and making it tangible. I can't think of many greater feelings for creators than to see an entirely fictional place brought to life. Even if you're only working on trees for an environment, you're still decorating a world that doesn't exist and adding your own touch to it.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Part of it is because of storytelling. The other part comes from confidence issues.

Before I got into 3D modeling, I use to draw people. I was obsessed with drawings characters I saw on TV, Movies, Games, Anime etc and getting them to look perfect. Eventually I wanted to make my own characters but every time I looked at them I felt a huge sense of embarrassment. But not because I felt like the art/anatomy was lacking, but because my body has a weird reaction to how I think millions of people would look at this stuff.

This phenomenon didn't bother me when the first art I posted on Polycount was cars, small props etc. I was much more receptive to the idea of making highly detailed props/environments and showing them to people without having any adverse bodily reactions to it.

I still want to return to my my original dream of making characters, but I'll continue pursuing environment art as a means of receiving income.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Mine was very similar to JordanN. As a kid I used to draw all the time, and I mean ALL the time. Cliche I know, but true. Then, I went to high school, and the drawing fell by the wayside as new interests took root but it was still there, at the back of my mind. I just never acted on it or practiced.

Then came University and I decided I wanted to make concept art for movies and games. So, I got myself onto a Games Art course and within the first days, saw how far ahead my peers were with their drawing and painting ability. It smashed my confidence, and I'll admit I largely took refuge in 3D. It seemed the "easy" option for some reason.

It's only now I'm getting back into 2D and actually beginning to take it as seriously as I wish I'd done as a teen.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I liked the modular approach, and the many techniques and "cheats" that I felt was lacking in character art.