Home Marmoset

Marmoset 3.04 Skew Issue

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Geosmith polycounter lvl 6
Hello.

Sorry to post this on polycount a second time, but I just want to make sure this issue gets noticed. 
It seems that as of the new update the any painted skew on your lowpoly bake groups gets erased when you re-open the scene. I'm not the only one with the issue but have only had one other person test this. 

Replies

• Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    For me painting skewing doesn't work at all
  • Geosmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems to work fine for me in every way apart from when it gets erased. 
    There should be the ability to rollback versions for this specific reason. 

Also, I've noticed that ID maps now have some kind of AA applied to them. Does anyone know if this Is specifically for Painter? I remember telling Allegorithmic that marmoset ID maps were super hard-edged, haven't had the chance to try them out yet. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, there is a bug with skew/offset map painting that we're looking into right now and will try to get a patch out to fix ASAP. Thank you for reporting this.

@Geosmith AA has not been applied to ID maps so I'm curious to see what result you're getting, can you post an image? AA for these types of maps is on the to-do list but has not been added yet.

@Fridock can you explain what you mean by painting skew doesn't work at all?

In the mean time, here are some 3.03 installer links if anyone needs to roll back:

PC: https://s3.amazonaws.com/mset/download/release/toolbag_install_303.exe
    Mac: https://s3.amazonaws.com/mset/download/release/toolbag_install_303.pkg

• Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    @EarthQuake

It works for me most of the time now, but it doesn't display the changes (red vector normals/black paint in the skew paint window). It wasn't working at all once, don't know how to replicate this again. Also i'm getting Geosmith's issue with skew being erased on file re-open too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock said:
    @EarthQuake

It works for me most of the time now, but it doesn't display the changes (red vector normals/black paint in the skew paint window). It wasn't working at all once, don't know how to replicate this again. Also i'm getting Geosmith's issue with skew being erased on file re-open too.
    Hey Fridock, make sure you have Show Skew ticked in the Low object that you're painting on, if that is disabled the vector guide goes away.
  • Geosmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake
    That's good to know. I also think skew is a little uncomfortable to paint with the normal lines since they don't match up with the skew map. Usually there are less lines than there are pixels in the skew map and especially now with the ability to increase the resolution of the skew map it's hard to tell in the 3D viewport what's painted and what isn't. Could I suggest a instead of the lines a colour overlay on the lowpoly mesh with something like 50% opacity red and green to signify what's painted and what isn't? Or maybe an adjustable opacity/colour? 

It can also be laborious to paint in a lot of skew on very straight or square UVs since there's no square brush or ability to lock the brush movement to a single direction/draw perfectly straight lines. Could this be a feature sometime in the future?

Here's a little test I did on the material ID. I already had an ID map baked before the update from a baker which baked in the same samples and soften settings I bake all the other maps in, it was completely hard edged. I rebaked it from the same baker after the update and saw it was softer.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Geosmith great I've reproduced the soften issue, we should be able to get these cleared up for the patch too.

As for your other ideas, I've added them to our suggestion list, thank you for the feedback.