Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pendles

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mitchellangelo polycounter lvl 7
Hey everybody.  This is another project I'm working on.  I saw this concept and I was SO blown away by this character.  He appears to be some kind of serpent humanoid creature as an Iraqi desert ravager.  I love the personality and design behind this character and I want to make a 3D model out of him.  

Here's what I've got so far.  This is a block out of all the primary forms.  This is a hard character to get the proportions and forms spot on with, because both images of it are three quarters.  Please give me your feedback on what I can do at this stage with proportions, silhouette and anatomy.  Thank you in advanced.  

Replies

• Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please, if you can.  I seriously can't move forward on this guy without feedback....
  • minibabylizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minibabylizard polycounter lvl 6
    Proportions, silhouette and anatomy is pretty good so far :)  I would only add that his legs are a bit bigger and longer.
    If you would like to pose him like on the concept I would open and sculpt the inner of the mouth at this point.
    Keep it up! :wink:

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Good start! It feels like he's missing his lankiness, and hunch. I think his legs are too short in your iteration. His legs are spread out pretty wide in the concept, and is still boasting a long tibia/fibia + femur. That may help get that hunched effect going too :)
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys.  I will definitely double check the leg length.  And I will start opening up the mouth and sculpting the inside, as you mentioned @minibabylizard.  
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody.  I'm coming back to this project.  I put it on hold while I was preoccupied with another one.  I've gone pretty deep into skin detailing, and about to go deep into clothing detailing.  Before I did I wanted to do one last proportion check.  Do you think the proportions of the model capture the essence of the concept? If there is anything else that needs to be done on it, just let me know.  I want to nail these proportions before going into secondary details.  Thanks in advance.

• Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here is the clothing detailing work.  In making this image I noticed I still have a few more things to detail, especially the coat.  I need to add the shoulder stripes and logo on the back, so know that I am aware of that.  And of course I am going to add the Insert Brushes features next (stitches, bones around his belt, etc.), but I just wanted to do a checkpoint on the clothing details.  The silhouette has also changed a bit on this, I did several silhouette checks along the way.  If you have any feedback on the clothing, or even on the proportions and silhouette, please comment below.  Thank you in advance!

• Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here it is, a turnaround of the complete model.  Sorry I keep changing these turnarounds btw, it's just hard to fit in that long left arm.  I want to make sure he looks shipshape before starting retopology.  My main concern is that bulge on his left arm where it's wrapped in the bandage cloth.  If you have any feedback for me on silhouette, or forms or anything else, please your comments are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Here's the concept again:

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I know you're a bit far along for this feedback, but I feel you made his head far too flat. I agree you're missing his hunch (blue pen on the concept below) and I feel you could have widened his stance. The concept makes it seem like his natural stance is pretty dynamic. I also don't think you should have made his feet point so forward, but have them at a more natural angle. The concept has the a dominating snake-like S shape in the silhouette which I feel you've missed, as the side angle of the character is straight up and down. I'd also have a re-go at the teeth as you didn't really match the shape or style of the concept's teeth.

I think you did a great job on the clothes and the detailing! Look forward to the texturing.

• Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Ashervisalis.  That's a good thing to double-check.  To be fair, I plan on posing him in that wide stance and hunch in the final presentation.  I have him modeled with everything pointing forward for convenience and rigging purposes.  
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone.  I've made it to the rendering stage on him.  Here is a rough render.  I still have to pose him and closely edit the texture maps.  The lighting will also be perfected when I put him in his presentation pose.  But let me know if you have any feedback for the textures at this point.  

• Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay everyone.  I'm almost to the end on this guy.  I have some final renders and presentation images.  I really need to finalize the lighting, pose and rendering.  Any feedback you have on these subjects is welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Here is a turnaround of the ZBrush sculpt