Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Momonga - overlord fan art

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LokiDokie polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys I've been trying to work on my character design a bit more and getting back into modelling ( I've taken a massive break after I got my first artist job). 
It's been really difficult making him so far and I'm not feeling the love I have for my other characters (which is weird because I love part of his designs in the show) I really want to finish him so I can move onto the texturing stages, I wanted to go for a hand painted style. I have a weird fear of not being unique enough so I tend to change parts of concepts and try and add my own take to it, it might be because I studied as a concept artist where your always trying to be the next best idea. It just means I tend to not work from concepts a lot (D: whyyyy, I know I should).
If you've got any feedback or advice for me about him I'd love to hear it and I'd be super grateful.
Thanks.

The current stage am at.

refs for anyone who doesn't know who Momonga is :) also a really rubbish sketch to help my ideas flow

A quick draw over I did after getting the base shapes in so I could refine them and help with more of my idea generation.

Replies

• LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update to where I am. I've decided to go back to the original anime design. Next I think I'll shrink the thigh guards so he doesn't look so short D:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Well, I don't know how practical they are, but the pointy fingers/nails gauntlets concept is quite common, and would fit the theme of this character.

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nihilus polycounter lvl 8
    Thats looking really cool, the style kind of reminds me of Nightmare from Soul Calibur. Looking forward to seeing where this goes! 
    Though I agree with you that proportionally his legs/arms look a bit short.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    I love Overlord! Nice Job Lokidokie
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. The hands need a bit of work so I'll definitely look at those refs @PyrZern posted along with some others.
    @MarcoAntonio mee too am, I wanted to do albedo too but I couldn't help doing momonga first. 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys sooo its time for an update I guess :) 
    I haven't had lots of time to work on him and I don't think I'll have much time this week or next (life happens right XD).

So theres a few bits missing like his necklace, plate thing and adding some damage. My friend suggested puffing the rim of the shoulder pads out so its a bit more manoeuvrable for him so ill try that when I get some time :)
    I did a fancier render than my normal screen grab but it was literally a 20 minute keyshot grab so nothing super fancy xD. 

I also started work on his two greatswords, there based off Roman Grigorevs design for them that he posted here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qzbKR.

I've not gotten super far into the design just blocking out shapes and trying to keep it consistence to the knights design :). I'm currently messing with the scales to see what looks best, am unsure if the actual scales are too much? am struggling to find an in between. 

thanks for taking a look again :) am grateful for any tips or help given :) 
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Maybe make the scales bigger? theyll get lost as noise and will fit with his overall style more.
    Also id suggest bring the knees in a bit more, the s curve is getting a bit lost.

Otherwise the armour is nice and solid, and the clothing has nice thickness. But the armour is looking a bit soft in places, some hPolish-ing could help :smile:
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pav3d
    Thanks so much your right :) I completely forgot about the curve in the legs after trying to build up the armour. Yeah his shoulder pads and arms are looking a little squishy ill try and tidy them up before I add some damage.

Thanks for the advice about the scales too I was thinking they looked to detail to fit with his armour, your definelty right about making them bigger. 
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey guys, so I haven't done super much on this guy. I finished the sword and added the damage to his armour. I think am going to call it on the high poly because I'm just not getting any where I wanted to. I'll work on the low poly and if I finish him and the texture I'll post him again, but I've got some other stuff I want to work on and am feeling a little burnt out. 
    Thanks for all your feedback and support :)