Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GAME READY CHARACTER DESIGN: Godrey

mdandry
null
Offline / Send Message
mdandry null

THE CHARACTER IS CONCEPTED BY ME. I CALLED HIMIS CALLED TIAGO, KNOWN AS GODFREY.

HE IS LUCIO’S BROTHER AND GOT HIS NICKNAME AFTER MOVING TO PARIS FROM RIO DE JANEIRO. GODFREY IS A NEW HERO IN THE OVERWATCH FRANCHISE. (IN MY DREAMS :blush:)

LIKE HIS BROTHER HE IS INVOLVED IN MUSIC AND IS AN INTERNATIONALLY REKNOWN SINGER. GODFREY IS MORE INTO A BOHEMIAN-MELLOW-JAZZY SOUND AND IS ALSO POLITICALLY ENVOLVED THROUGH HIS MUSIC.

ON THE BATTLEFIELD HE IS A SUPPORT CHARACTER FOR EXTRA DEFENCE AND BUFFING.

I’VE INTEGRATED A MECH STYLE NECKLACE IN HIS DESIGN WHICH SERVES AS AUGMENTTION FOR HIS VOCAL CORDS AND ALSO DISTORTS HIS VOICE (GIVING HIM A BIT OF A METALLIC TWANG LIKE ZENYATTA). BY SINGING HE MAINLY INFLICTS DAMAMGE TO ENEMIES BUT IF HE IS ON HIS POD HE HEALS HIS TEAM. THE BUFF IS FURTHER POWERED IF GODFREY GETS THE CHANCE TO “PLUG” HIS JACKS (COMING FROM HIS HEAD) INTO THE POD. HE GETS THE CHANCE TO PLUG IN IF HE IS ON THE POD FOR 10/15 SECS, AFTER THAT THE JACKS PLUG IN AUTOMATICALLY AND ON TOP OF EXTRA HEALING YOU GET A FRACTION OF THE HEALING BASED ON THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE YOU ARE HEALING (THEY HAVE TO BE RECEIVING HEALTH FOR THE FRACTIONAL SELF HEALTH TO WORK, THIS STOPS PEOPLE EXPLOITING THE ABILITY).

HIS MAIN ATTACK ABILITY IS LINKED TO HIS MICROPHONE STAND WHICH HE USES AS A TWO BARREL SHOTGUN.

THE COMBO OF MICROPHONE AND MICROPHONE STAND ARE HIS ULTIMATE: A FREDDY MERCURARY-LIKE (WITH POSE) SUNG NOTE INDUCING A STUN AOE.

THE VISOR/GLASSES WOULD ANIMATE THE BEAT WHEN GODREY IS SINGING (TAKE THE IDEA FROM THE WRENCH BUT HAVE SOFTER BLURRED BEATS).

FOR AIM 2. GODREY WILL HAVE A SEPARATE STAGE/MECH/POD COVERED IN SPEAKERS AND WIRES ON WHICH THE CHARACTER WOULD BE ABLE TO HEAL, LOSING HOWEVER ALL THE OTHER ABILITIES ESSENTIALLY MAKING HIM A MOVING TARGET.    

GODFREY IS A SLOW CHARACTER WHEN ON FOOT AS THE SPEAKERS ON HIS OUTFIT ARE RESTRICTIVE ON THE ELBOW AND KNEE JOINTS. HOWEVER, HE HARDLY EVER JUST WALKS: WHEN SINGING (LEFT CLICK) HE USES THE POWER FROM HIS VOICE IN HIS HAND AND FOOT PROPELLERS, A BIT LIKE IRON MAN, AND GLIDES ½ METRE FROM FLOOR. 

WHEN PRESSING SHIFT GODFREY CALLS HIS STAGE/POD &JUMPS ON IT, AND IF HE DECIDEDS TO STAY ON IT AFTER 10 SECS HE PLUGS IN THE JACKS FROM HIS BODY & STAYS RELATIVELY STILL ON THE POD.

TO GET THIS COLOUR PALETTE I TOOK LUCIO’S ORIGINAL COLOUR PALETTE AND CHANGED THE HUE VALUES UNTIL I GOT A GOOD VARIATION OF COLOUR COMBINATIONS. I TRIED TO MAINTAIN THE COLOUR RATIO FOUND ON OVERWATCH CHARACTERS WHITH LARGE BLOCK AREAS OF COLOUR: LEGS (GREEN), ARMS AND TORSO (BROWN), HAIR/GLASSES/ GLOW (PURPLE).

20% GREEN METAL

20% CAMEL SKIN JACKET

16% BLACK LEATHER

10% SKIN

8% ALLUMINIUM METAL

7% GREEN SYNTHETIC MATERIAL

DECORATIONS/SYMBOLS: PIANO LOCKET DECORATION AND VIOLIN KEY. HE ALSO HAS A SIMILAR SOUND WAVE TO LUCIO WHICH IS A RECCURING THEME ON THE OUTFIT. WE SEE IT MAINLY AS AN ACTUAL GLOW-Y SOUNDWAVE ON HIS NECK PIECE, AS A DESIGN ON THE CAMEL SKIN JACKET, AS A HOLSTER FOR THE RIGHT ARM SPEAKER AND ON HIS BELT.

Replies

• mdandry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdandry null
    Progress Renders of Low Poly: 

Here is my current progress in Zbrush.. I'm unsure of the actual body shape so if anyone has any suggestions/cc very welcome :)

• mdandry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdandry null
    So I have left the body shape and have been focusing on the rest of the assets/clothes/mechy bits. Feedback welcome

• mdandry
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Good on ya for doing an original concept design.

The clothing doesn't seem to be sculpted in the Overwatch style; that's what stands out to me originally.  For example, the Jacket lacks relatively sharp, planay folds and instead has lumpy and soft shapes across the board.  If you take a look at Hanzo or McCree, a lot of their clothing folds are relatively geometric in shape and sharp in many places.

Design wise, something tells me the silhouette could use something more.  I'm squinting at the original concept art, and I have to admit I would want something a little more from the silhouette of the character to differentiate it against the other characters.  Lucio has his dreads and heavy set legs.  Junkrat has his assymetrical legs and backpack tire.  Godfrey sort of has his speaker knees and legs, but I don't feel that A. those are accentuated enough or B. there's a better way to express that he uses his voice to beat people to death.  I would encourage something more ludicrous than just kneepads and elbows: like speakers coming out from the back, or a head gear that is like a one-pop-shop karaoke thing.  You already have this head gear that almost implies theres mics coming from the chin strap.  Why not really lean into the idea of like a neck-brace harmonica/mic receiver and make that really pop out?  We need more exaggeration to get this from NPC to PC.
  • mdandry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdandry null
    Hey! Thanks so much! This is awesome feedback! I'll focus on making the material to look sharper for sure and I agree I need more thought into the harmonica/mic thing.
    I love the karaoke inspired head gear idea.. so definitely look out for that :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also bevel.  Bevel where you can.  Overwatch has a weird love for beveling hard edges.
  • Zanejjb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zanejjb polycounter lvl 6
    To add on to the topic of the silhouette mentioned in the previous comment, maybe Instead of speaker knee pads maybe speaker boots that are more square to make his legs stick out more and to really push the fact there are speakers on his legs. Maybe something reminiscent to left and right speakers in the following image. Shoes in Overwatch can be really weird so feel free to experiment and push them.
    Passive PA Speakers
    Also another thing I noticed is that maybe there is too much detail in some places when it comes to the Overwatch art style. This next image comes from a talk at a Zbrush summit and at one point they talk about the level of detail in a Overwatch character and how much is just right. Hopefully this can be useful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGHU8DI6fo4  Hopefully this is somewhat helpful to you!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's also a possibility, given the Zenyatta precedence, that this guy's ego is so big that he doesn't even walk.

He just hovers.  On a perpetual stage.  A hover stage maybe.
  • mdandry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdandry null
    Cheers guys :) awesome feedback! I will get some work under my belt and post some updates soon! So do you think the kneepads should definitely come off and make some cool scifi/speaker boots that come up the calf?
  • Zanejjb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zanejjb polycounter lvl 6
    The knee pads might be able to stay as is or might need alteration in it's design to fit with the boots better. Kinda hard to tell right now but I suggest do like 2-3 blocked out versions and see how they look compared to each other. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!