Home Technical Talk

Odd Z fighting effect on 3DS Max model

Is there anyone who knows whats going on with the faces on my model, please?

Each part of the building is a separate asset and all faces that need to be are on relevant smoothing groups, but for some reason, the faces at a distance show this weird Z fighting effect and I can't figure it out.

If anyone is able to assist I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Its because of the precision of the z buffer at large distances. You can adjust the near and far clipping plane of the given viewport. Giving it a shorter range should eliminate this issue. 
  • Altea
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 6
    3ds MAX has not standard CAD precision.
    You can have these effects if the model is very far of the center of the coordinates. Also if you use a very small unit, as millimeters, to do very large objects. The first one is easy to solve moving the objects to the center. The second one is more tricky as changing units can mess your model but if you flatten the modifiers and you are in early stages could be OK.
    Clipping plane is a solution but you will be forced to mess with the clipping plane until the end of the project. You should not have these kind of problems from start if the model is correctly placed and the units adequate.