Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

face study HELP !

AliArto
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AliArto polycounter lvl 4
hi polycount i have question how to study face digital sculpture what do i need ? 
i am doing body study as well with figure drawing\sculpting but i want to focus on head and face feature 
what should i do and what right study to do i don't want waste time learning wrong way 
btw i am study 5 hours in day do i need more time ? and today face study tomorrow body study and  so on or should i do week on face and week on body ? 
here some of my study i know it's ugly 

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Deploy the advice you had recieved on your other thread, there's no need opening a duplicate topic unless a particular issue requires further clarification or remains unresolved.

So for my money I strongly second the recommendation for Scott Eaton's workshop, not only was he an early pioneer of digital sculpting but also studied traditional sculpture in Florence, Italy.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Make sure you use proper references.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Have you tried doing likenesses and sitting down to break them down in a 2D/3D planar analysis?  I see a lot of what I'd call "going into higher subdivisions too soon" with your posted sculpts.

There's a general approach to face sculpting that involves breaking down the face, and really any volume, into simpler shapes.  In this case, with something like the Asaro head, it's planes.  Overall, the hope is that it gives a way for artists to simplify their approach to recreating a head, and gives a more solid foundation for them to work from, instead of trying to dive right into recreating details.