Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retrogasm 2018 - Zero from Megaman X

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
Hey folks, here's what I been working on; an entry for HazardousArts' Retrogasm 2018 competition.

I decided to go with my childhood hero; Zero 

Yeah, this one.

BUTTT !! And that's a BIG BUTT !
I want to make it in a more realistic style, and not so cartoonish.

To show you what I mean; this is the mood board I'm working from.

Of course, I still want to keep the character pretty close to the original design. Especially the silhouette.

So, here's where I am currently.

C&C WELCOME !! Especially advice on the noodle arms !

Replies

• LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LokiDokie polycounter lvl 7
    This looks awesome :D maybe you could make the noodles intertwine like muscle? Or just making some wrap around round each other might make it abit more interesting 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Learning to weave some muscle strands xD

Noodle arms -> now -> sausage link arms. Sadly most of the silhouette break happens where armor blocks the view.

Also made small update thruout the piece overalls.

• LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LokiDokie polycounter lvl 7
    I really like the sausage link arms now :) looks awesome
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tested basic colors. Will some more changes around a tad more. Also slowly adding BEVELS to EVERYTHING.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made more changes. I got rid of his thigh armors, and instead went with more NANO MUSCLE !! (just kill me now)
    Changed some of his color schemes. Gave him his Z-Saber, and tested render in Marmoset 3.
    Gonna work a tad more on his face/eyes next !!  Might have to make his legs a little bigger now that there's no thigh armor... We will see...
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update...

Hmmm, mesh hair, or plane hair....  What to do . What to do.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update !

Hair is made. Might play around with alpha some more. Other Lowpoly mostly made as well.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing and posing phase now. Lots of things to do. Short on time #_#

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some changes to the hair. Made a few poses. And cleaned up some small noises.
    Wrapping up the project now. 

• BoonS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoonS polycounter lvl 7
    I understand accomodating for a substantial critique would be way too much of an inconvenience at this point, but for the sake of possible insight/future endeavors I'd like to share a few thoughts:

I personally have a big problem with the discrepancy between the attempt to stay authentic to the original style (colors and proportions) and the attempt to be realistic with smart materials (pbr and edge-wear). It give off an uncanny visual, not too dissimilar with the problem that Daz3D/secondlife models have where it feels like assets and textures are simply applied together, and not chosen and tailored for a specific tone. I can understand that you're trying to interpret a vintage/stylized character in a realistic way, but right now it seems to sit in an uncomfortable mid-ground, kind of lacking a purpose to exist in 3D. For your future projects, I would advise taking a good consideration as to what 'going realistic' means to you in terms of stylistic and narrative intentions, and choose accordingly to lean towards one side of the spectrum or the other.

If you're looking for references, I've personally found Pior Oberson and Gilberto Magno to be excellent vanguards in translating exaggerated and fantastical themes into something that is grounded, relatable, and even realistic (for the latter).

Also there's also just a general avenue to pursue for more polish in detail definition, form control, and rendering solution; but that's just practice and effort. Hopefully, this is somewhat at least insightful.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BoonS Heya. Thanks much for the detailed post. I see what you mean about getting stuck in the uncanny valley. Really appreciate the pointers there. Also, thanks for the reference links are awesome. I will improve and plan ahead next time.

-------------

Updated the lighting as well as the skin and the hair shader.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2J0aJ