Home Adobe Substance

[SD] Tile generator post processing node?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

Besides duplicating the tile generator/sampler nodes, is there a way to post-process output with a luminance random effect?

For example, after creating a brick wall pattern, one might want to create the same pattern with some random luminance/mask, and use this output as a blend mask to add variations.

AFAIK, the common way is to duplicate said nodes. This is ok for simple pattern, but when I have a composite pattern (tile generator over tile generator, or an array of tile generator), I ended up duplicating a lot of nodes.

Just wondering how everyone work around this issue?

Thx in advance!

(EDIT: a visual example, basically I want both output, but it seems like I will have to duplicate nodes/sub graph to get both)

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    For this example, if you use the colour version of the tile sampler you can separate the alpha off. 

There doesn't look to be a straightforward way of modifying the tile sampler internals to output more than one channel of information as it's fx-map based.  

if you need anything more comples than a mask you're looking at wrapping up a few tile samplers into a node and synchronising parameters

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    poopipe said:
    For this example, if you use the colour version of the tile sampler you can separate the alpha off. 

There doesn't look to be a straightforward way of modifying the tile sampler internals to output more than one channel of information as it's fx-map based.  

if you need anything more comples than a mask you're looking at wrapping up a few tile samplers into a node and synchronising parameters
    Yeah, I ended up duplicating the nodes as I needed per tile variation.

• another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    You can edit the second output to have a black and white mask, like a contrasted histogram scan could work. and if you'd like to you can edit your tile sampler to do it all the time and offer you a second output

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Can you elaborate on that?  Afaik an fx-map only supports a single output (plus alpha if its a colour one)