Home Technical Talk

H E L P ! I need an IT here. with workstation dell precision T5610

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
neverland polycounter lvl 3
hello guys how you doing?

I’ve got a dell precision workstation T5610 and I’m having troubles while modeling/doing 3d stuff

I am working using maya 2k18 on a model with roughly 6.5 millions polygons and this is proving a rather bad modeling experience. Firs orbiting is so slow. When I open windows it takes like forever not to mention manipulating geometry. The funny thing is that I modeled this guy using this very computer so I dont know what’s happening damn! 
So concerning the specs:

nvidia quadro k4000
X2 2.5 gb xeon prosessors
8 ram memory - I know I have to upgrade this :(

btw heres the screenshot with the specs

Now... I think 6.5 millions polygons are not “a few” but it is not even that much.
I have recently formatted the pc with a windows 7 pro version, then I downloaded all the drivers from the nvidia website and even the drivers from the dell website.. but still to make a wireframe render it took me so long just to set a camera and a few lights.
help guys please I don’t want to pay one of those guys who works in the computer shops that do not  know anything about cg and they just want to steal your money.. I hate them. 
Do you guys think is just a problem of drivers?? Cos I downloaded then from the nvidia website the ones right for my videocard! I don’t really know what to do cos this is really weird.. for instance even when I create a cube and I do right click > edges it takes like .5 sec to highlight the edge..

this is so annoying.. I will soon begin to work on a new model and I estimated it to be, once completed, approximately 8 millions polygons I have to do it!
and I need my pc to work properly to get this thing through!!

help me guys plz if you have any suggestions or if you could recommend me possibilities to fix this!!
cheers

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Since you said it's a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, my first thought would be drivers. Try rolling back to some older ones.
    If that doesn't work my second thought is that you're having memory related issues; either your hard drive or your RAM is going bad.

Also open task manager (ctrl+shift+esc) and under processes make sure none of your other apps are using too much CPU while idle. Windows Defender or any other antivirus running a system check in the background could definitely cause such issues.