Home Career & Education

Getting let go?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx ngon master
So i am currently doing a test-time at a game company doing none game related things. Last week i told my boss that i wanted to show that i can do more then i'm doing and willing to give my all. So i got to do a tank (with no references, which i had to find for myself, even if he said he would provide me with it) and we had a small deal that it should be done in 10 days. Which was 7 days ago, and he wants it today. I'm working over 12 hours a day (not including doing some stuff at home, barely seeing my 5 month old daughter or wife) Doing stuff that's not related to the tank + the tank, now i'm hearing that they want to let me go. Overall, they are really happy with what i'm doing in term of the smaller 3D, i can send the tank picture in private to see how far i've gotten. In 7 days. 

Feels a bit unfair, just needed to ease my heart! =)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a bummer, it's never easy being laid off. 

This is basically "spec work", kind of like an unstructured art test. Which is the least beneficial to you, since it has no defined guidelines, they can make their decision on a whim.

Sometimes a manager with little hire/fire experience will use this as a crutch to try to soften the task of firing someone.

And if there isn't a driving need for someone new on the team, then it's even more difficult to justify hiring an inexperienced worker.

Tough as it is, it's best to move on to another place. This one isn't ready to hire you, and even if they like you, they may not be ready again for another year or more. You just never know when a company is ready to ramp up production on a new project.

Best of luck finding the next gig. Now is the time to reach out to your network, let them know you're looking, and what kind of work you want to be doing.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Always full of help Mr: Chadwick, you are a true inspiration! Thank you! 
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I'd say don't worry about it. Sometimes that happens in the office, kind of a way to pressure someone to work harder or faster. I want to say I've heard it when I was in a previous job, and stayed for a long time lol.

It was odd for me on one of my recent ones. I was laid off not too long ago, and it was during a time when I thought I wouldn't get laid off lol. Man, it's hard to tell. Probably just focus on what you have to do by the deadline.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Hmm, seems a tad unprofessional on your employers part. 

From what I'm reading you suggested the very casual art test, they picked the topic without any references. Was the time decided between the two of you after discussing the references?

Would like to look at where your tank stands now. (pm)

Also if this counts as a failed art test, you shouldn't get the new job/added responsibility, not let go from the company unless you compromised on your current responsibilities. If they are professional (and humane) they ought to be open to this prospect.

And you mentioned they are happy about your smaller 3d work, though your current job is non 3d work, so why are you being let go completely? Were they planning to let you go and passing this art test was the only way to stay on?
    Seems odd since you suggested the test.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Aah...a bit cold for them to give you the flick when showing initiative instigating said art test in the first place plus absolute gall offering praise after finalising asset completion well inside the deadline for goodness sakes! but as Eric commented, a snippet I happen too agree with, I'm afraid:

"Sometimes a manager with little hire/fire experience will use this as a crutch to try to soften the task of firing someone."

Just simply displays a total lack of administrative skill clumsily utilising an ad hoc test they I suspect assumed you probably couldn't fulfil.

So, "unfair" most certainly however leverage this experience not only as a salient lesson for future reference but also as an indicator of where your current artistic level stands at this point.

Now pick yourself up and start polishing your portfolio for a tilt at the next potential gig, all the best.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On a side note I'd be interested if you don't mind, linking your tank asset, perhaps we can offer some useful critique as @NikhilR alluded too?                             

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    Kinda depends on your quality of work.
    but that being said, complete the test and start looking for other options, this studio probably values skills over motivation, which mostly leads to prima-donnas and cliques.
    I have been in the hiring loop for quiet sometime, and to me motivation matters waaaay more in an prospective employee than skill. Yes you have to be good to get the job done, but skill without motivation make you worthless to me. 
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    NikhilR said:
    Hmm, seems a tad unprofessional on your employers part. 

From what I'm reading you suggested the very casual art test, they picked the topic without any references. Was the time decided between the two of you after discussing the references?

Would like to look at where your tank stands now. (pm)

Also if this counts as a failed art test, you shouldn't get the new job/added responsibility, not let go from the company unless you compromised on your current responsibilities. If they are professional (and humane) they ought to be open to this prospect.

And you mentioned they are happy about your smaller 3d work, though your current job is non 3d work, so why are you being let go completely? Were they planning to let you go and passing this art test was the only way to stay on?
    Seems odd since you suggested the test.
    we spoke about which tank and he asked me how long do you think you need, i specifically asked him, what my polycount needed to be, map size and depended on which tank. And gave him a estimated time of 10 days if i had the references. (Which took me about a day to collect, hard finding the right side of that tank). 

It's acctually 3D work what i'm currently doing, but not for games. Basically cleaning up meshes scanned in by another company (hard surface). been doing it for the past 3 Weeks, the company i'm doing it for are happy cause so far they've not had any crasches in engine and none missing geo, LOD are very well done. And i also cleaned up collegues meshes that where done months before i came in, this one i did because i finished my tasks that where supposed to be done the 26th next month. I had to much free time and asked if it was possible for me to do extra choirs cleaning up the other meshes so they don't test them out now and notice there's issues on them and sending them back for re-work. This saved my team and the company a lot of time. 

To be honest i don't know. It saddens me cause i feel like i can improve a lot more, even though i'm not really doing any game related stuff. 
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    sacboi said:

Aah...a bit cold for them to give you the flick when showing initiative instigating said art test in the first place plus absolute gall offering praise after finalising asset completion well inside the deadline for goodness sakes! but as Eric commented, a snippet I happen too agree with, I'm afraid:

"Sometimes a manager with little hire/fire experience will use this as a crutch to try to soften the task of firing someone."

Just simply displays a total lack of administrative skill clumsily utilising an ad hoc test they I suspect assumed you probably couldn't fulfil.

So, "unfair" most certainly however leverage this experience not only as a salient lesson for future reference but also as an indicator of where your current artistic level stands at this point.

Now pick yourself up and start polishing your portfolio for a tilt at the next potential gig, all the best.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On a side note I'd be interested if you don't mind, linking your tank asset, perhaps we can offer some useful critique as @NikhilR alluded too?                             

Indeed i will, doing a small collection of stuff i want to modell and put in my portfolio, picking 10 stuff and then reducing it to 3 stuff i need to do! =) Thank you for your kind words.