Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Firekeeper Zelda - Retrogasm Art Competition

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
GravityBwlast interpolator
Hi guys,

I'm posting here my progress on my Retrogasm Art Competition entry.
Basically I'm taking Zelda from Twilight Princess and slightly redesign her with a firekeeper (Dark Souls) mood.
Here are the first concepts and WIPs:

Early blocking:

I'm doing paintovers on the sculpt shots all along so I can modify faster and try detailing quickly to see where I'm going. On the right is also a quick setup in Toolbag 3 to test the mood with the bonfire lighting.

In terms of design I try to think about what could make Zelda something that still obviously looks like her, but at the same time enhances the emotion and mood of melancholia, sadness that are part of Dark Souls lore. Things like making her with closed eyes would imply that she's not waiting for Link to come back as he's dead, rather than open eyes looking at the fire would imply she's waiting for his return. 
Sculpt current state:

Any feedback appreciated,
Cheers :) 

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, great work so far, love the shapes and stylization you got going here!
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alex, really liking your Raziel btw!

Here are some progress shots from these last work sessions:

I'm going for a more realistic approach, cause after a lot of thinking and brainstorming about Zelda and Dark Souls designs, I came to the conclusion a cartoony Zelda would just be another Nintendo Zelda, and wouldn't feel as desperate and melancholic a Dark Souls character would.

I'm still searching the right design balance between the two worlds while making her clearly look as Zelda from Twilight Hyrule.

I gave her Link's Horse Call and her own sword, I think it helps bringing more Zelda TP of course but also break the symmetry a bit.

I also love the leather bands on the arm and folded cloth around her belly, it brings more DarkSouls and story telling in there; but I'm wondering if it's not a bit too much. I'll see later.

More WIPs coming soon, slowly getting there!

Feedback appreciated

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking really nice, and thanks for the kind words :) 

out of curiosity, how much are you balancing the original design with your own ideas, personally Im struggling with "improving" on the original design but at the same time still stay faithful to it, what is your approach?
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While designing I try to focus on the essence of the character. Here for Zelda from Twilight Princess, she's melancholic, sorrowed by her kingdom taken by twilight. Dark souls has the same kind of mood, so I focus on this emotion while designing.
    Making her look more like a traveling monk than a princess waiting on her throne for example, giving her accessories rather than weapons (by the way I deleted the sword, I'm going for a lyre (Sheik's)), making her with closed eyes to express sorrow, making her hair messy while keeping the original hairstyle, opening the dress as two parts to make it more practical and travel oriented, ...

I think you're doing good actually, in your cas it's a bit less tricky because you don't mix it with another game or world, it's just tweaking the base design to your liking. I think if you get the essence of the character and keep to it; you can change a lot of stuff and it will stay the same character. :)

Hope I was clear lol

• GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP time:

The lyre is gonna be hanging on her waist, left side. Gonna push more details in substance painter, like sewings, ...

Hair is gonna be alpha cards so here it's just blocking

Refined the face towards a more realistic direction:

Before/After progress gif:

Any feedback appreciated !
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks amazing, cant wait to see this one finished! 
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    lovely work on the face
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

I think I'm done with the sculpt, redid the tiara and added HD details here and there...

• theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Looking great! I was just curios is the skin texture done with polypaint? or did you project an image?
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dude :D It's pure polypaint! Though I'm gonna redo all the skin paint in Substance painter once I'm done with retopo.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
     I'm gonna redo all the skin paint in Substance painter once I'm done with retopo.
    deadline is coming up soon, hurry hurry! :)
    It would be really unfortunate if you cant finish this in time :(
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet
     thanks for the encouragement man!

I only have one free weekend until the deadline to work on her, so I have to do everything after work during week days. Doing 15hours workdays lol.
    So I'm not ded yet - here is my progress on retopology. Clothes are a pain in the ass, I'll have to find a better workflow next project cause retopo of thin parts (even with exporting only one side as reference mesh) is a nightmare.

Back on it on sunday evening, and I'll try to finish the belts and shoes retopo, then it will be minor stuff and I'll be able to go through texturing and alpha cards hair

plz send help I'm lacking 10000000000 hours of sleep
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ola!
    Working countless hours on this cutie. This is my first actual try at realistic texturing, and I'm having a hard time. It's still very WIP but I'm kinda struggling, especially to get a nice leather.

Hair mod is still wip and I haven't added all the ornamental thingies on the cloth yet
    Any feedback more than welcome!

• GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another WIP, slowly getting there. 9 days remaining for the contest, still need to rig the model, may let the texturing rest a bit on the side.

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Wow, nice work! What engine are your rendering her in? The robe's texturing is great with all the grime
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @bkost
    Thanks, it's rendered in Toolbag 3 :) 
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys, I finished this project! 
    I'm only posting a few images so it's not too image-heavy, you can see more images, wireframes, sculpt, etc... on artstation

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zgmvZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAI02fd-lBY

This has been a blast to work on, I learned a lot on this one!
    I'm of course still open to feedback, even if I'm calling this one done.

• Dumbanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    I love this a lot.  Great melding of Dark Souls and Zelda!  Good job!
  • m00k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m00k polycounter lvl 3
    I love the bandage on her right arm, great piece!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Turned out amazing, love it! :) good luck in the competition!
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    @lotet thanks and good luck to you to dude, your Raziel is in my personal top 3!