Home Career & Education

Modo to Maya

norbyscook
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
norbyscook polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone 
I do know Maya is more of the industry standard. However, I love using Modo for modeling. I know some artists who are better with Modo and are able to work with that. Some of them are Torfrick or Warren Marshal.  is it better to be more familiar with Maya since more people use it? or should I stick to the program that I like? 
- Thanks
- Andy 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Speaking as a Maya to Modo modeler, you're gonna want to familiarize yourself with Maya if you want to rig and animate in the future.

Modo as your primary modeling package is fine.  There's nary a thing that breaks when all you're doing is tossing meshes back and forth between programs, outside of, say, items SPECIFIC to a software like a locater node, etc.

I myself prefer Modo over Maya.  My quick explanation is that Modo, out of the box, does a lot that Maya needs scripts for.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the studio you want to work at. 

Some are open to people using whatever apps they want, as long as you can get it into their main exporting app, where you'll likely use a custom plugin/script to assign their game-specific data.

Most are less forgiving though. Apps have to be vetted for security, stability, compatibility, etc. Budget. And if you're the only one using it, what happens if you get sick or leave the company... who else can edit the assets you started? Lots of reasons for homogeneity.

In short, be prepared to use their preferred software.
  • norbyscook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the studio you want to work at. 

Some are open to people using whatever apps they want, as long as you can get it into their main exporting app, where you'll likely use a custom plugin/script to assign their game-specific data.

Most are less forgiving though. Apps have to be vetted for security, stability, compatibility, etc. Budget. And if you're the only one using it, what happens if you get sick or leave the company... who else can edit the assets you started? Lots of reasons for homogeneity.

In short, be prepared to use their preferred software.
    Thank-you for your answer!
  • norbyscook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking as a Maya to Modo modeler, you're gonna want to familiarize yourself with Maya if you want to rig and animate in the future.

Modo as your primary modeling package is fine.  There's nary a thing that breaks when all you're doing is tossing meshes back and forth between programs, outside of, say, items SPECIFIC to a software like a locater node, etc.

I myself prefer Modo over Maya.  My quick explanation is that Modo, out of the box, does a lot that Maya needs scripts for.
    Thank-you for your reply!