Home Technical Talk

Aligning modular pieces so the textures line up?

jordank95
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
So I have a house built from modular pieces. I have a wood plank texture that I want to apply to all of these modular pieces. The issue is, the wood texture doesn't match up correctly from piece to piece. I have tried aligning all the UVs for each of these modular pieces by snapping them to each other, but the texture still has an obvious seam.

Any tips?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Without a pic it's impossible to help. Also need to know software... Both modeling, and rendering.
  • jordank95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
    Without a pic it's impossible to help. Also need to know software... Both modeling, and rendering.
    Sorry, thought there was maybe a general workflow for this. I’m using Maya and UE4.

just wondering if there’s a technique for not getting any seams whatsoever between all of your modular pieces that connect together?

Assuming there’s maybe just some vertex blending where the seam is where the modular pieces meet?
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    It's typically a case by case basis.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, it's hard to diagnose without knowing and seeing more. it could be a shading/smoothing issue on the geometry level, it could be a baking issue, it could be the shader or some of the material maps, it could be the UVs. 

The first step would be to make sure the geometry is seamless, so turn off textures and make sure that the geo is seamless.

Then you can turn on pieces of the material to check each one by itself. Turn on just the normal map, just the color map, just the roughness/spec.