Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Knight character

Kokiri_Kaleb
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Kokiri_Kaleb polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys! This will be my first character. I would love some critiques before I finalize some parts and then make a game res model to throw into Unreal. 
Here is the concept art from Chan 

Here is where I'm at so far.

Replies

• Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    Nice armor work so far. I think one thing that you are missing that has the character feeling a bit off is that there is not a base body underneath. Typically with all characters even if the body is going to be hidden you still want to sculpt basic proportions so that you have a guide on where to place the armor.

Right now all of your armor pieces feel like they are floating. They also don't feel like they were made for the same person. 
    try to recreate the Berserker's base proportions first and then make the armor to fit over his body. 

• Kokiri_Kaleb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Asura Yeah that is definitely an issue. That will be the next step for sure. Thank you
  • Kokiri_Kaleb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally came back to this project. Low Poly made in Maya at about 60,000 polys. Then textured in substance painter.

I do not think it looks great because to make the UV's look decent I had to make the model one sided, before it was a water tight mesh. Not sure how to fix this? for a game ready asset how would you solve the problem of having too little UV space. Would it be reasonable to have 2 texture maps?