Home Adobe Substance

[SP] Paint when brush center is not on the object

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

I am not sure this is possible in SP: if I want to stamp a part of alpha onto a layer, but my brush's center is not on the object.

I can't find a way to tell SP to paint as if I am in a 2D application (tried 2d view and alignment, haven't find a way around this limit.)

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Brush alignment can work if you're painting on geometry that isn't your target (like you have a cylinder cap with an inset and you want to stamp a circle on the cap, but the center inset is a separate island/material/whatever), but it doesn't help if there's no geo in the first place.

Perhaps you can try throwing in temp backing geo and use brush alignment options. Not an ideal solution though.

BTW if you're trying to paint a tileable texture, check out the sample project (which just uses a plane with stacked UV's)
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Bek said:

BTW if you're trying to paint a tileable texture, check out the sample project (which just uses a plane with stacked UV's)
    Thx! didn't realize there is a sample project for it. I did watch Warren's quick youtube video on this so I knew the trick.

It always feels a bit awkward to author multiple tileable texture (like a texture altas) in SP. I am wondering if I should use SD instead of SP here...