Home Technical Talk

[3DSMax] Animation curve viewable as offset from reference frame?

null
I'm trying to find if there's a way to view animation curves with as an offset from some reference frame's value (probably frame 0 would be fine) so that I can see X, Y Z movements of an object together at a reasonable scale.

Currently the tracks have values in parent-space, which is fine, but they're absolute values. So when the X, Y and Z values aren't almost the same, they can't be viewed together very easily. If they were relative values, an object at (0,100,0) moving by ±1 unit in each axis would have three curves that range from -1 to +1, instead of raging from -1 to +101.

Here's an example of what I have:

And a photoshop of what I want:

Is this possible or do I just have to get used to it?

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    If you do a Free Transform operation after parenting but before animation all the curve will start from the center (value of zero).

If you search the 3DS Max Idea forum for Normalized Curve View and vote for that idea. It’s exactly what you are asking without freezing.
  • Raxastake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raxastake null
    Ahh I see, by using more than one position XYZ in a position list, all the non-default ones are done as offsets. That means you could have two animations playing on top of each other which is real neat. Not something I have a use for at the moment but wow, super useful. Thanks! :D