Home Technical Talk

Texture Atlas and Masking

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

How does one design uv shells for texture atlas?

I have been doing some decal texture atlas lately and writing my own shader to layer them. But I ran into a common issue where my UV shell doesn't quite fit the decal (too wide or too tall, for example). Because decals are packed quite closely together, scaling UV shell will run into other decals on the atlas.

I can imagine a few solutions, like:

- putting decals on a grid and write a shader that selectively masking out other decals so uv shell can scale freely. 
- putting extra quad on top of the model so uv shell is independent from the model (save polys on model).
- give the model more polys at specific area where decal needed to be displayed, so uv shell can fit naturally.

Maybe they are all valid approaches, but I would love to know which one do you use? And why?

When I was doing some research on this topic, I ran into this Simcity 2013 atlas, a game which I know has super strict polygon requirement. So how did they mask out the atlas so that showing the window wouldn't also show other facades?

Thx in advance!

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The most likely scenario is that they are simply not showing the decal geo/floating panels on this breakdown picture.

In other words : the wireframe shown here is probably not exactly that of the house seen in the ingame screenshot. A small user error when putting together a bunch of slides is more likely than some kind of magical (and costly) masking tech :)
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    pior said:
    They most likely simply didn't show the decal geo/floating panels on this breakdown picture.
    If that's the case, is there a way I can author in Maya but also prevent z-fighting?

(I know how to prevent z-fighting in Unity: custom z offset. But does Maya gave users a way to do that?)