Home Adobe Substance

I'm really lost at how to create this particular texture...

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
yk89031 polycounter lvl 3
Hi,

I'm working with Substance Designer for a few weeks now and I didn't have a particular problem with anything yet but this one particular texture. I'm sure there is some simple way to do it, but I just keep missing that solution and it's very frustrating as it seemed like a quick texture to make.

So how would you do something like this?

My main problem is with the basic shapes. How to do this pattern where there is so variations of stone shapes but at the same time. Big stones that are quite nice and rectangular - basically a classic brick shape; more angular stones; stones that don't have any particular shape; stones that are in between with a clear purpose of filling the space between the large stones...

I tried doing it with the distance node, but it keeps creating more random shapes and not the brick-like ones.
I tried tile generator with cells 3 in between the tiles to create smaller stones. That worked a bit but looked more like a proper brick wall than random stones as in the picture.

So how would you approach this texture?

Thanks!

Replies

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Brick pattern or square pattern, warp it a bit, tile random, play with settings to get different kind of shapes for each "stone", and a lot of different noise and warp nodes, for the big shape. break the entire shape down. From Big to medium to small.. I've never really worked "deep" with SD, but i think that's a good way to go :D
  • yk89031
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yk89031 polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the tips wirrexx :smile:
    I'm trying to put more work into it and it seems that I get closer and closer to the successful result. I guess I had wrong mindset that the pattern should be easy to create from the beginning.
  • Cloudydays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloudydays polycounter lvl 6
    Hopefully you figured it out! My approach would be to notice that the big shapes are really variations of the same sort of rock shape with some smaller variations. Maybe try getting a couple shape variations of the rock, plugging into a tile sampler, then blending together smaller variations with a mask so that you have areas with smaller rocks?
  • LorasTyrell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LorasTyrell polycounter lvl 5
    If I was gonna make this then I would first generate the large stone shapes, and make sure they had round enough corners and space between them. Then, I would use a new tile sampler to generate smaller rocks, using a histogram scanned version of the large rocks as a mask. That means you'll fill in the gaps with small stones.