Home Technical Talk

hair baking to texture -issue

kamilD
null
Offline / Send Message
kamilD null
Hey guys,
I have a problem with baking hair on the texture.
I have created hair in Maya with Xgen then I converted them to the curves and then I make "curve to tube mesh", after all, I have my hair as a polygons and  I want to bake it to the texture on my head mesh. I am using xNormal (the same issue is when I want to bake it in Maya), so I export head as low mesh and hair (converted to polygons) as a high, then when I have baked it looks not correct. Baked texture should be only on the beard and mustache, but I don't know why it also baked it in the 
places that not should be baked like on the back on the head, on the nose, on the lips, on the ear etc. (my hair are only on the beard and mustache). I have attached an image to show how it looks.
I know that the UVs are good and mapping is not the issue ( I tested on different mapping and the result is the same)
I don't know why it happens and I don't know how to fix that.
Maybe you will find the solution.  
Thank you for all your help.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    This problem could easily be way beyond me as I don't know anything about xgen, but the only thing I can suspect is a UV problem. 

Can you upload a picture of your UV's? And maybe a side by side with the UV layout and a checker texture so we can see and be certain that things are going where expected.

And double check you don't have a second UV set as well. That may be the issue. I had a similar problem and I realized that I had somehow created a second UV set and that was what I kept exporting, so even though I was making changes to my UV map, I couldn't see a difference.
  • kamilD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamilD null
    Hey,
    BIGTIMEMASTER--> there is for 100% not UVs problem, because I have tested it making the same things on the simple cube.
    I created a cube then made a hair geometry from xgen and the result is the same. I have baked hair on the sides of the mesh that should be clear.
    My only suspicion is that the hair are projected to the opposite side. For example if the hair are visible to the other side of the mesh it will bake also on that polygons.
    I don't know if you know what I mean.  Later I will post an image with the explanation
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's almost certainly a projection issue .  If messing with the distances doesn't work, try a cage or try including a head in the high res

It's probably worth mentioning you can bake the hair out of Arnold and save yourself a crap ton of the waiting and grief associated with million poly objects in maya
  • kamilD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamilD null
    Hey,
    poopipe--> Yes, I tried cache and the result is the same. When I include a head in the high res it looks good.
    How can I bake hair in Arnold ?
    Thank you for your post :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Aren't the UVs on a cube overlapping by default?
  • kamilD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamilD null
    Aren't the UVs on a cube overlapping by default?
    No, I have checked and UVs not overlapping by default
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Show your uv layout please.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    kamilD said:

How can I bake hair in Arnold ?

its all in the docs - there's a separate tool but its basically the same process as baking anything else