Home Technical Talk

Substance Painter questions

Pimpek5555
node
So, I textured my low poly model and what I got is just texture maps exported... That's it? Just maps? Why can't I export the whole textured model? How can I use those exported maps? Can they be added to animated model in Unity or Maya? 

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    So, I textured my low poly model and what I got is just texture maps exported... That's it? Just maps? Why can't I export the whole textured model? How can I use those exported maps? Can they be added to animated model in Unity or Maya? 
    Yes, just maps. You can use the Substance plugin with an archive file sbsar in certain applications but all it's doing is creating textures for you under the hood.

Apply your textures in Maya and use FBX export with embedded textures and you'll get an FBX Archive, which when opened will extract the textures into a folder called .fbm anyway.

The situation isn't ideal but at least it lets you see the data.
  • Steamy_Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steamy_Steve triangle

I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem you have.

Textures/maps are just images cut to fit the model's unwrapped polygons (UV map). The rendering engine then takes those images and wraps them around the model as per the UV mapping, pixel by pixel.

Which textures/maps are associated to which model is stored inside your 3D file (OBJ, FBX, MB, etc etc), but that is not Substance Painter's job.
    After baking all the maps you just go back into your 3D modeling software and apply them one by one, perfectly fitting and looking gorgeous.

An extra step, but otherwise Substance Painter would have to include a series of plug-ins to modify 3D files, which would involve an overwhelming amount of work to keep them updated with the latest quirks of each external program.
    Just being able to read the vertices/polygons informations from each one of those 3D file formats is an achievement in itself.

Is this what you meant? =o
  • Pimpek5555
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pimpek5555 node
    Yes, thank you for your knowledge. I'm just a beginner and I don't know much yet.