Home Adobe Substance

Black shading on the edge seams in Substance Painter

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Keijo Arts polycounter lvl 6
I have a strange issue with black shading on the UV shell edges of my model than I apply any material in Substance Painter. 

I'm using normal maps baked in Marmoset Toolbag 3 and there they all look fine.

How it looks in Marmoset:

Than in Substance Painter, it looks OK, while I have only flat color. I've tried to add a fill layer with just the solid color — no problems

Substance Painter:

But then I add a material to the mesh it shows this artifact:

My UV's definitely has enough padding for 2K map (16pix), UV shell borders have hard edges assigned also.
Any thoughts that could be the cause?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Just guessing here, but check out Common parameters > quality

• Keijo Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried the quality setting, that didn't help. This artifact appears only on the parts, where the UV shell borders are. 
  • Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    Show us your UVs, it might be an edge padding issue.
  • Keijo Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the UV's
    (I marked the place, where this artifact appears. (Shells with red dots are mirrored, maybe that's the reason for the darkening)

• Dumbanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    My guess would be that you need to bake in Marmoset using a triangulated low poly mesh, and then use the same triangulated mesh in Substance Painter.  What I think is happening is Marmoset is saying the hidden triangulation of your quad is going from bottom left to top right, but then Substance Painter is saying no, its going from bottom right to top left, that's enough to cause weird shading errors.  When you triangulate ahead of baking/ importing into either program, you're taking the guess work out and then the two won't have complications (my understanding) 

You can see an example of this here, scroll down to Triangulation and X-Shaped Errors: https://www.marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/
  • Keijo Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana said:
    My guess would be that you need to bake in Marmoset using a triangulated low poly mesh, and then use the same triangulated mesh in Substance Painter.  What I think is happening is Marmoset is saying the hidden triangulation of your quad is going from bottom left to top right, but then Substance Painter is saying no, its going from bottom right to top left, that's enough to cause weird shading errors.  When you triangulate ahead of baking/ importing into either program, you're taking the guess work out and then the two won't have complications (my understanding) 

You can see an example of this here, scroll down to Triangulation and X-Shaped Errors: https://www.marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/
    I tried to use already triangulated mesh to bake in Marmoset, and then apply that map in Painter to the same mesh. Didn't help. 
  • Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    It looks like there's no unwrap on those faces. Triangulate the mesh in your 3d app of choice and just apply any texture in there to makw sure those faces are unwrappes properly.
  • Keijo Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink said:
    It looks like there's no unwrap on those faces. Triangulate the mesh in your 3d app of choice and just apply any texture in there to makw sure those faces are unwrappes properly.
    Nope, everything is unwrapped, 100% sure. I've already solved the problem. Those artifacts appeared because my lowpoly was too far away from highpoly at that places. I just squeezed it closer and the black shading disappeared) 
  • Wankenstien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wankenstien polycounter lvl 5
    Hey man, I had this problem recently, I think the problem you are having is that the curve of the low polly does not have enough edges to match the high polly curve... to fix this problem I would recomend using the quad draw tool (if u are using Maya) or add extra edges (vertices, geometry) in order to make the low match the high polly more, also make sure both meshes match each other edge to edge. Dont be afraid to fiddle with your model to achieve a perfect bake, just make sure your UV maps dont become distorted.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Are you baking to mirrored UVs or are the mirrored UVs offset?

That can cause problems with a painter bake, I imagine marmoset would have the same issues
  • Vanillatography
    Hi guys, late to the party but this thread is still being looked at and is still useful. I want to note than none of the aforementioned solutions worked for me however I went back into Blender, applied a weighted normal modifier (with kept sharps applied) and then made sure to double check my unwrap (making sure that where there were sharp edges (ie. the ones you apply yourself) were, that I placed a seam on them and rewrapped then updated and rebaked in Marmoset T3. This then solved my issue, placing this here so that if others follow, maybe it'll help? Hope you got your mesh fixed 2 years ago Keijo Arts Lol.  :)

• KebabEmperor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KebabEmperor polycounter lvl 3
    IT is not problem  at all, your sharp edge cant catch big curve, I would use more geo for that part. It is limitation of normal maps