Home Technical Talk

[Blender] Ugly neck seam ? classic problem ,but how to rid it , best way ?

rafastrip
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
rafastrip polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone,  I am struggling with seams after a long time . I would like to stablish a good point for me to rid the seams for my particular workflow  (blender to substance painter ).  I would like to test some animation and then run my character in Unreal. I am really like to work organize , I do not like to paint over the seams , not clone over the seams  ... I would like to animate this character and programming some scripts 
 in Unreal and this character has not cloth in his upper body , 2K resolution for Unreal and make some "render" then in cycles with further resolution...but animation is my goal and of course, rid this seam ....cof cof  cof.  

1- Let's see what we got here :D

I have got my meshes here in the picture as separate meshes (body_low and head_low  in FBX output  ) . 

2 - Well after a long time to paint the texture in SP , the result is this  ( I am showing in material viewport the seam  , also I can see it with another channel contribution , such as roughness map and color map , the seam is there... I do not Abuse of procedular texture , the texture was a mix of hand painting and ton of mask for progressive color values). 

3 - In the image above , you can see the seam is quite a little visible there . 

4 - here it is the "vertex normal" direction... ( see the seam) ... the body is another Object and head is separte it from the torso . (I left below a Gyazo's gif to show the direction of this particular piece, the head ).

Giazo's gift (showing the vertex normal direction of the head in blender) :

https://gyazo.com/bc27341acc6bd948b22c2af04798ddf7

5 - the upper body , is show me this direction.

6 - I use blender since 5 years ago , I never put in practice the best way to , rid the seams , can you help me ? :D  I have read this post  this morning to change my plan , or take another perspective.

http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2464105/#Comment_2464105

in the last link  (above right there )  I can not understand the example for blender users  (too fast and not biped model ).... I just watched 2 o 3 times,  I do not how to make transfer in blender , "data transfer" I am not sure if a clue there..I am fighting with seams at least 4 days ago....  I used to paint over the seams in photoshop  or whatever , but when I paint the seams I consider , it is not good at all , specially if you are running a test in Unreal engine o Unity , I ve see all blurred afterall when I nocked the resoltuion down for my game.... that's is the reason I prefer to not paint over the seams to rid it and clone It is another bad experience I ve noticed, but this is a point of view, in some cases I found it very well... but in this case I need at least 2K resolution , texture atlasing and so on and so for...so I would like to understan how can I fix the seam for blender and substance painter workflow.
               THX

Replies

• frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Was the seam originally there after baking or is it a result of textures being applied and the model having disconnected UV islands?

If it's just the detail textures that are causing the seam, try having them 'tri-planar' mapped, or if it's causing artifacts elsewhere, just paint it around the seam.
  • rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi dude, what do you mean with "disconnected UV island" ? I made 2 vertions... one vertion has the body and the head together ( but...differents ID material to diferenciate them in substance painter , so joined or not , substance only read Meshes convenctions with materials ID or whatever called  )... in that process  the seam is there...so I discard the reason to merge them together ...then a second vertion I created separate Objects , the body and the heas is now separate , I do not move the island , so they preserve their previoius UV proyection (the same UV coordiante position for their respective objects )   every material or object , depend how I looking them ,  have their own UV space . ...
    you mean as "tri-planar" projection ? in substance painter right? I do not like to paint around seams , because I feel when the model is further more in resolution , the seams has blurred appareance, I do not a big fun to paint or clone over the seams I had made this process to paint in the seams for 2 o 3 years and I think there must be another solution in baking process or something to deal with . 

**Edited : Also I ve checked the procedular bitmaps or maps in the process of layers painting, roughtness and generators....in some cases procedular textures not match as well with UV's...so I discard the roughness map and the procedular texture process in some layers...I think , I need a really good tricks to solve this problem. It cost time and save the time for blender's users. 
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Try using this on your detail textures.

• rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    ok...I am going to try later...should I check layer by layer, or relevant layer...checking by the tri-planar projection would do the difference.? thx..:D
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I should fix it if the problem is that the parts of the mesh connected to that seam are mapped to different areas of the textures.
  • rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey bro ,

mmmm let me explain a little more , I  try to use "tri-planar" as you said in detail texture , as you recomend me ...however, I noticed,  "tri-planar" projection is only available in "fill layer" .... and fill layer could be a simple flat color layer or could be a bitmap texture ....also ,  my "detail" texture are not procedular ( with fill layers contribution map ), my details  layers are just simple layers  ....I create details layers by layer with hand-painting (as you can see in this last picture)  , I like the power of procedular for some cases , pores , scratches , acentuate things aswell , but I use procedular , for "roughness" map most of the time , and  also for smart mask , mask ....to reveal areas to get better result... this picture I show my workflow.

• frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I think you are really making it more complicated than it is.

Just make you way up the stack and see which layers are having seams.
    Then you either have to use tri-planar projection or paint/clone the areas around the seams, you probably want to work 
    on masks rather than actual layers in that case.

That's assuming the seam isn't cause by incorrect bakes.
  • rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    hey bro, I try to make "triplanar" projecting in the layer, but nothing change, see this "gif" , as you can see , I am pressing the "c" key, to change in the viewport, my channels's layers... base, normal,height, roughtness and metallic.... the seams is there , how ever , I think also theres is a baking issue...some part of the index projects in the long finger....I try to change baking again with "0.003 " cast ray , change a little...mmm I must trust in your word, I got good feeling , but ...how knows , issues like this are very common.

https://gyazo.com/90085695e5769010a511fcb31c98f3f6
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    @OP: looking at the Blender s-shot the UV's differ at the seam. When that happen you'll always have some degree of discrepancy showing up. To fix you'll need to make sure the seam UV's are exactly the same - if you lay the head over the body island and notice a difference, that's the problem - adjust accordingly so they match.
  • rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    Kat, I can not understand what did you explain....  I have solved it , the seams... , with the tedious work of clone and painting over the seam... tired of clone and painting the seams, thank by the way...
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm wasn't sure if you had solved it. No worries.

As a follow-up FYI/FFR... the UV's edge-loop for the head and torso sections where they meet at the neck (seam) are difference sizes, they use different amounts of texture space. This causes the problem you had. It can be 'fudged' with textures but unless you make sure both UV edges are (essentially) the same length you'll tend to get seams showing no matter what you do.
  • rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok...but , how can I make the same size ? while keeping same/different  UV space ?  . thx 
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    To do it manually (don't recall any auto-fixes)
    1) Unwrap as normal
    2) temporarily lay one UV section over the other in the UV/Image Editor
    3) resize/scale the UV Islands so holes (where the seam is) are roughly the same size;
    4) manually adjust individual vertex positions so both sets match (turn on "Snap to Pixel" in "Image" to help doing the above, also if the islands need to be re-scaled, pin, "P" (Alt+P to clear), the two loops and use them as 'pivot' points around which you scale)

Once you're done you can relocate/reorganise the UV's sections to better fit your image (if snap to pixel is enabled watch out for individual vertices jumping out of alignment - disable to avoid this).

• rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    hi again , in step #3 ...do you mean , I should put the 2 uv-island near each other   and scaled them ? and then...with the same size I adjust vertex positions? welding vertex ?  (some time ago I used "pin" but it cause me too many stretching problems  (I think there must be a trick to put the pins...)) , however ,  it should be an important thing to "pin it" ?  can you show me a picture where should be placed " snap to pixel" ? thanks for your time! and patience.
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Unwrap one section as the main UV, then move the second UV over the top of this temporarily so you can adjust the vertices to match the neck seam joint. Once you've done that you can reorganise the entire map to better fit the available texture space.

You shouldn't need to weld vertices, all you are doing is adjusting particular selections so the vertex loop seam at the neck match for both head and torso (its this difference that's cause the seam to appear in your textures).

With "Pin", once you organise an island how you want it, pin the entire section to lock it, that way if you do any additional editing the locked UV's won't change.

Snap to pixels is a global feature of the UV/Image Editor, UV vertices 'snap' when its enabled, or can be moved freely when disabled.
  • rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    mmm , sorry I try to read carefully and follow the steps , does not work , chest and head do not share the seams, I mean , I got my seams in the Head , not in the torso , when I moved the Head away from the UV space (temporally) not affect...cause head has their owm material ( this material has his own uv space) , the torso has his own material too ( this material is another uv space)... If I try to join both objects ( I noticed another problem , blender has not able to choose what material is the origin from ,but this is easy to trick ) I press "L" key ...over the head (so , selected the head) and assigned it the "head_mat" (head material) and blender read the uv aswell , nice ... then I pressed the "L" key and choose the torso and assigned the torso material... however, the seam is there...  I try with "pin" but it cause me too much stretching...  thanks for the help .